I just know. This phrase has been uttered out of my mouth on numerous occasions. There are three different types of situations in which I just know something:
The first: when I present a fact or statistic about any given topic and have no idea how to back it up. I'm notorious known for easily recalling beautiful quotes from saints, minute details of obscure Church teachings, and shocking facts to persuade someone in a heated debate. "St. Theresa of Avila once said...." "Well you know, the Church's position on infant baptism by a lay person clearly states..." or "This county has the largest per capita abuse rate in the entire state!" But when presented with the question of, "how did you know that?" I can only respond, "I just know." I can't recall who told me, where I read it, or how I know it's true. I just know. It doesn't make for a very convincing argument.
The second: when I have complete conviction and clarity that something will occur. I just knew I would marry Ted. Even before we started dating. I remember girlfriends asking me how I knew he was "the one". Besides the list of reasons why he would make the world's greatest husband, my best answer was simply, "I just know." In another, not-so-exciting example, I just knew we were going to have problems getting pregnant. Again, even before we were married. I had already had a successful surgery to remove endo years earlier and my doctor had NO DOUBT that I wouldn't have any trouble conceiving. That was little comfort. Ted and I started trying to get pregnant before it was really "convenient". He was working a minimum wage job, I was in grad school, and our tiny apartment barely contained the two of us. Nevertheless, we started trying for a baby. Part of the reason it was so easy for me to try despite the circumstances was that I just knew we wouldn't actually get pregnant. There was no logical reason behind it. But I just knew.
The third: this one is a little weird. Let me preface it by saying that I fully understand and support the Church's teaching on "paranormal" activities. I do not read my horoscope or believe in fortune tellers, and I even shy away from Harry Potter because I fear crossing the line on the Church's teaching. I do, however, get the occasional "premonition" (if that's even the right word for it). I've had these gut feelings all my life that tell me when something is going to happen. Silly little things. In grade school I just knew when my name was going to be called on. I could feel it coming. Literally every time I've ever won anything by drawing a name out of a hat (like a 50/50 drawing or door prize) I've known I was going to win. This past New Year's we played a game with our friends that had a cash prize (a whopping $11!) and I just knew I was going to win. Even before we sat down to play the game. I'm hardly ever surprised when I win something. And as much as I've tried to "create" this feeling in hopes of getting the million dollar lottery ticket, it can't be done. When my name is called and I step up to claim my prize, I'll lean over to Ted and say,"I knew I was going to win." He always asks, "how did you know??" And my answer is always the same: I just know!
With all of those instances in my life when I have just known something, wouldn't it only make sense that I'll just know when I'm pregnant? I'm only a few days past peak day, but I told Ted I wasn't pregnant today. "How do you know?" he asked. "If I was, I think I would just know." "That's why they make home pregnancy tests," he said, "because you can't just know!" And I realize that all rational and reasonable thought suggests that I'm being ridiculous. But I really do think I would just know if I was pregnant. I thought I knew, one day last week. I just felt that there was something (someone) inside of me. I felt like my stomach was glowing all day. But the feeling was gone the next day and it hasn't returned. I think I was just getting my hopes up.
I know that everyone reading this is thinking I'm wrong, that there is no way to just know. If there was, there would be no such thing as the "two week wait". But I can't seem to shake the idea from my head. I mean, if there was a newly created soul living inside of my body, wouldn't I know about?? Even if he or she was only the size of a pin point! It seems so strange to me that there could be a baby inside of me RIGHT NOW and I could have no idea. It just boggles my mind.
This concept of just knowing got me thinking about Mary. We celebrated the Feast of the Annunciation just three days ago (the day that the Angel Gabriel announced to Mary she would conceive Jesus). I wonder when she actually became pregnant. Was it at the exact moment she said her now famous words of "be it done unto me according to thy word"? Or did it happen later in the day, week, or even month? Did God have to wait until she was on cycle day 14-15 before sending down His only son? And no matter when Jesus was actually conceived-when did Mary actually know about it? Did she have to endure the same two week wait that we are all faced with? When the angel left, did Mary feel pregnant? Or did she continue about her day waiting to see if anything happened? Something tells me that Mary just knew that Jesus had been conceived in her womb. Surely the Mother of God didn't go about not knowing if God himself was inside of her! Even if it was just for two weeks!
But I guess it doesn't matter whether or not Mary just knew that Jesus was in her womb. I was not immaculately conceived, am not without original sin, nor am I carrying the Son of God (even if I AM pregnant!) I don't suppose God is going to bless me with the same understanding that Mary may have received. I guess I'm going to wait until either the cramps kick in or I miss my period. Just like everyone else.
This post is so funny because we just had a big chat with Mikey this morning about, uh hem, sex and dating. I know, he's only 8! But with being pg he's wanting to know more and I'm certainly going to inform him! So he asked my dh and I how we knew when we were dating that we were supposed to get married and both kept saying "we just knew"! My mom always told me that too, you'll just know! It's true! I think a lot of that is the Holy Spirit's presence, preparing you for where you're going or what He wants you to do. But I will say that there is some sort of "veil" that God keeps us under before we become pregnant. It's like He's still at work and doesn't want us to know it yet! So, I think you may not just know! At least I never did and I have a lot of the same "I just know"ness as you!
ReplyDeleteI believe you and trust me, I am much the same way. With my 3rd pregnancy, I just knew I was pregnant. I didn’t need a test to tell my heart (although my head was much appreciative when it came). We were on vacation during the 2ww and I remember staying away from everything that could be harmful to the baby even though I couldn’t yet prove she was there. Now I don’t buy into those feelings until I’m post peak 7-9 days, once implantation occurs, and I do not buy into early pregnancy symptoms before 14 days (because they are the same as PMS). The feeling I had was a spiritual feeling and I was right.
ReplyDeleteHowever, (you knew that was coming, right?), with my first 2 pregnancies, I “just knew” I wasn’t when I was. I guess that was God’s way of saying, “I know more than you do.” I’m not saying that to give false hope, but just because you really do not know until He wants you to know.
BTW: Do I get a prize for how many times I used "know" and "knew" in this comment?
Thanks Ann! And I don't know-do you "just know" that you're going to win a prize?? :)
ReplyDeleteNope. Not feeling lucky today at all :)
ReplyDeleteVery interesting - the thoughts about Mary knowing if she was pregnant or not. I would imagine that after the Angel Gabriel left her, she probably thought, "There is no way!" and she needed proof by a missed period or pregnancy symptoms. Although maybe all the normal pregnancy timeline didn't occur the same way for her and it does for anyone else. I think this because I heard through some legitimate Catholic source somewhere, that Mary didn't actually go through labor and pain. Jesus just appeared somehow on Christmas Eve night.
ReplyDeleteObviously I can't speak for Mary, but I'm sure she had no doubt at any point, even early on, that she was actually pregnant.
ReplyDeleteIn general, with my first baby I suspected that I was pregnant, but I didn't know until a couple of days before I was supposed to have my period. With my second I knew the day after conception. I just knew...
In your case though I hope that this time, just this time, your feeling is wrong. Don't give up hope!
I have heard of women just knowing they were pregnant, as your other commenters have attested! I'm not so lucky to have any "knowing" sense, though, so I'm just trying to be patient during my two weeks :)
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me like Mary would've just known. I mean, the Lord did send an angel to tell her after all. Maybe He timed it so that the angel came on peak day!
Kaitlin I'm the same way. I remember random facts and quotes but can't recall why or where from. I'm always saying "I just know" and people think I'm crazy. I also "just know" when things are going to happen. It's a very strong intuition. I too knew immediately I would marry DH (even when we broke up for 3 months a year into our relationship) and I "just knew" we would have trouble with fertility. Sometimes I like these feelings (they have kept me out of some pretty bad situations) but other times it can be frustrating and I feel like it makes me kind of negative. I just try to stay positive and hope sometimes that my intuition is wrong. I'm hoping maybe yours is wrong this time. :)
ReplyDeleteIt makes perfect sense to me that a woman *could* "just know" that she was pregnant. There are changes, some that happen almost immediately. In addition to the changes that happen to you, there are changes that are supposed to be imperceptible that happen to the tiny baby - but I bet if every pregnant woman's ever impulse could be measured on the date of fertilization, something would be different. There would be some information, if she caught it, that would let her know. Of course, we often dismiss bodily changes and don't pay attention, so most people don't notice. And pregnancy is such a BIG change that women have a lot of reasons to believe the opposite, or hope too strongly! If I had been fertile, I might have "just known" before a BFP. But I doubt I would believe a drawer-full of positive tests at this point if I had every classic symptom in the book. So...I guess I think it would be hard for a veteran IFer to "just know," but if anyone can, it sounds like you can!
ReplyDeleteThere have def been pregnancies where I just know or have a strong feeling. My first one I had major Sx so I could even smell the tortillas through the bags at the grocery store-as if they were fresh baked bread or something! So it is totally possible based on symptoms alone to just know you are pregnant-either that or my dh was gonna have to commit me!
ReplyDelete