Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Kids Say...

the funniest things! One of the best (ok-probably the best) aspects of my job as a speech-language pathologist is getting to hear all the random and hillarious things that my preschoolers say. I'm not from the south and have litterally only known about five black people before moving to Mississippi from Missouri. So with the combination of the southern way of life and black culture-my kids say some pretty funny stuff to this outsider.

These are just from today:
When asked "what would you do if a stranger asked you to go for a ride?" (as part of a stupid language screening) one of my five year olds said (with the cutest accent). "I tell that foo' to back it up. Back up, monster! Back up!" It wasn't the "go get my mom" or "tell him no" that the test manual was looking for-but I gave him credit.

When I was doing the same test on a four year old boy he was getting frustrated because he knew he was getting a lot wrong. He was finally able to do one of the tasks and after he sorted the pictures into the right stacks he raised his arms in the air and shouted, "I know things!" Precious!

Another little cutie told me that I could go on his vacation to Orange Beach this summer. And just in case I thought about saying no, he added, "I'll even bring some candy!"

And lastly, about 50-60 kids a day yell out "take me, take me!" when I walk through the halls of Head Start to get one of their classmates. Most of them know my name but some of them just say "hey speech". I wish I could take them all to therapy with me-not because they need help with speech or language, but because they need someone to listen to them in a one on one setting. They need someone to tell them how beautiful and smart they are. I really would "take them" home with me if I could.

Unfortunately not every kiddo said something funny today. I got some pretty sad and distrubing answers to the question "what would you do if you saw smoke and fire". I'm developing a pretty thick skin to these kinds of comments-but they still amaze me every time. Sew-I wish you lived closer and could take some of my kiddos in with you. Before ya'll exit out of this window-will you please say a prayer for "my kids". They've got the odds stacked against them-very poor, single parent families, awful living conditions-please pray that they stay safe, healthy, and somehow learn that Jesus loves them

14 comments:

  1. So cute! Thanks for sharing! They are all precious little gifts and I will say prayers for them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh I love kid quotes! Thanks for passing these along! I love how they call you "speech." Too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! You must be such a bright spot in their lives! That last part is so sad.... God bless them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, you should write a book! Keep a collection going and someday you could be on the bestsellers list! Those are hilarious. Especially the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable! I love listening to my kids at work. They always seem to have something so witty to say. And their insight into things is always so interesting.

    The other day I had the cutest conversation with one of my kids...

    J: Mrs. K do you have any kids?
    Me: No honey I do not.
    J: Oh, because you aren't married?
    Me: No, I'm married.
    J: Oh...Is it because you don't like kids?
    Me: Of course I like kids! That's why I come here to see you guys everyday.
    J: Well Mrs. K. You really should have some kids. Maybe you just need to talk to God about it. Ask him, I'm sure he can get you some. And if he says no, then my mom might let you borrow me.

    I almost cried. It was so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prayed. And just think of the good you are doing for them! Think of the good your infertility, ie suffering, is doing for them. Some part of them DOES know Jesus loves them, because you are Jesus to them...so beautiful.

    Oh, and when I do something right from now on I am going to say, "I know things!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I know what you mean about funny and sad since we do a lot of behavior stuff in inner city schools. I loved the first answer, too funny! And I hate how the little boy didn't think he knew things until he got that one right and reassured himself. You are the perfect ray of sunshine in their lives. It is such a cute testament that all the kids want speech! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when kids yell for me to take them or call me "hey speech". So cute! Kids do say the cutest things. Loved this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I tell that foo' to back it up. Back up, monster! Back up!"

    Oh my! I can just "hear" the boy say that. Too funny. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it "back it up foo" lol!!! today our sister school (where our librarian works on Thursdays and in total inner city) told her that it was not Saul who was blinded on the road by Jesus, but De Marcus. How hilarious!! He got Demascus all mixed up! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! I always try to remember the crazy things my CCD students say (like asking the priest if they could email him their sins instead of going to reconciliation). It can really lighten your soul to be around them.

    Honestly, I think the “back it up foo’” sounds way more convincing that “stop.” I love it!

    Praying for your kids tonight. I know that isn’t easy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Makes me miss my job! We used to keep a list of the goofy things WE said during grad school clinicals!! One of my favs, which is still often quoted in my house, is "my daddy chews cinnamon gum!". Totally random and off topic, right in the middle of what I thought was an "awesome" session on how to have an appropriate conversation!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those kids sound hilarious and they must add brightness to your day. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the students know I'm pregnant, and I have one little guy especially who asks about it all the time. The other day, he said "You got baby in dere?" (pointing to my bump) "yah" Then he looked at me so innocently and said "Dat baby white?" (he is black) "haha.. yah" I said. You could see his little wheels spinning as he was thinking about all this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!