Monday, April 26, 2010

A Question for Fellow IFers

Alright ladies, I've got a question about mucus. A quick history:
  • I've been on Clomid for three months (25mg) with average mucus cycle scores (MCS). 10.7 the first month, 13.7 the second.
  • Before Clomid my MCS were amazing! Never below a 14 and even some perfect 16s in there!
  • I actually have an over abundance of mucus at all times in my cycle. Yellow stamps are my best friend. My Dr. can't figure out the cause.
  • This past month was a lousy 8.7. I had 4AD the day before Peak Day. (I can't count on one hand the number of times I've seen this in the past YEAR.)
I emailed my doctor and was told to start on B6 (500mg a day of sustained released). I'm glad he's recommending something, but I'm feeling like this isn't quite enough. I feel like our approach is quickly becoming "let's wait and see if anything bad happens and THEN do something about it." With my laproscopy fading farhter and farther into the distance (this past January) I'm not comfortable with this. I know that the best time for getting pregnant after removing endo is the first 6 months. The end of this cycle will mark 4 months and that scares me.

I don't want to wait until something looks bad before doing something about it. I'd rather pull out all the stops now and hope for the best. What may seem like overkill to some, seems perfectly logical when you take into account the amount pain that only ONE MONTH of infertility creates. Every month that goes by I feel like we are getting further and further from our dream. Why are we waiting to do more??

I know many of you have taken things to get that MCS up in the fantastic range. Isn't there more than just B6. I haven't had much luck with vitamins in the past (tried Vitamin C for all-the-time mucus with no success). I've heard about Mucinex and Fertile CM but don't know many details. I'm asking for your advice-I trust ya'll so much!

Also, has anyone experienced the same kind of "wait and see" approach? I just want to do everything we can-not hold out to see if it's necessary! What did you do? How did you decide what to do and what to wait on? How did you get your doctor on board? Emails are appreciated-my email address is under my picture in my profile.

Thanks!

10 comments:

  1. I had my napro doc prescribe the antibiotic Ampicillin. It was AWESOME. The clomid (which completely dried me up the first cycle) was not able to wreak havoc with me the second cycle! It caused incredible mucus production and then you can take the mucinex as a supplement to thin out the gobs of mucus that ampicillin creates (though, I hated the mucinex, it smelled like Ben Gay!) Also, through my own research I discovered Pr.eseed, which is a supposedly 'sperm friendly' lubricant (as basically everything else actually inhibits it!) My two cents :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of other girls take amox. for it. Not sure. I do like Fertile CM, but you have to take it like it says (3 times a day with plenty of water throughout the day).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clomid totally dried me out. I took the B6 sustained release and threw in some Mucinex whenever I could, but I really had very very poor mucus including the month we conceived. So it is possible! But definitely see what your napro doc says. And I've heard amoxicillin can work wonders, like Brit said. Praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do B6, amox and mucinex. Mucinex is obv totally over the counter so go for it. Take it at first sign of CM or some say CD 15 if you haven't seen any yet, through P+2. Take two in the am and two in the pm. It is actually quite expensive, but they sell it at SAM's etc. Haven't ever tried fertile CM. I have to say that what I love about the approach given to me was there was very little wait and see about it. I will say with some meds I was on, he would see charting and blood draw results and then tweek, but I love how the testing and dx part was everything all at once. That was the best. I think you won't have any prob getting fertile CM back. clomid just does that to people, very common. totally did it to me and I am on the same dose. Wait, I had no cm hardly prior to clomid. I almost forgot! lol So I am not a good pre/post case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw much improvement with the B6, but the Fertile CM supplement rocks! It definitely got my almost lack of mucus with Femara to a perfect score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never saw any improvement with the B6. I'm on 1,000 mg of amox post period through peak day. At first it gave me silky excellent mucus....I think I keep forgetting to take it makes it not the greatest....

    The wait and see method is ridiculos....I hate that...You can call a lot, I guess that just lets them know you are serious. ;)

    We got pregnant 7 months post surgery...So hold on tight....It might just be too early and your body still recovering. (I hate it when ppl give me that advice because I hate to hear it, but I do think it's true!) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree with you on the wait and see thing. I've felt like that from the beginning. It is by far the most frustrating thing about this whole process. They've had us on such a "wait and see" that they have had us avoiding pregnancy for the last 11 cycles. But that's a whole other issue.

    As far as the drop in quality cm...did you do anything different last cycle. Mine did a bit of a dip too and we figured out that it was from all the otc allergy meds I was taking. I have super bad seasonal allergies and there is no way I could make it through the day without some help in the Spring. If not I've heard from many people that B6 doesn't work. My Creighton Practitioner often prescribes Mucinex. I know she even takes it.

    Praying this is just a fluke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used Amoxicillin, mucinex, B6, and FertileCM. The best results came from Amox and Fertile CM for me. My NaPro Dr gives a script for clomid along with a script for Amox every time, she's so sure it will dry her patients up :)

    As for the wait-and-see, I think that's the difference in NaPro between IF and m/c. When trying to prevent m/c, NaPro pulls out all the stops, immediately. When TTC, they play the "wait and see," because a) they don't want to overwhelm your body with too much all at once, and b) they can't force conception. I had that game played with me for a while, the 1st 2 years, I'd say.

    I'd get some Fertile CM if I were you. I think I buy mine from early-pregnancy-tests.com or something like that. Also ask for amoxicillin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I totally dried up on clomid too ... and honestly, it was not until I stopped taking clomid and started doing accupuncture that my fluid came back. But I also was not on the full mucus-enhancer regime, so I hope it can help you right away! Dr. S. in Pa. told me to take 1200 mg of sustained release mucinex twice a day from day 10 until peak+1 (ovulation or the day after) -- that would be two normal mucinex twice a day or one of the big fat supermucinex pills twice a day. It is important to get the actual mucinex brand. I tried off-brand mucinex, but it did not work. There is some scientific reason -- Dr. S explained it to me but I forgot.
    Of course, start earlier if you think you usually ovulate earlier. I am a late ovulator.
    He also told me to take 500 mg sustained release B6 every day for two months, then take 100 mg sustained release every day thereafter. FYI, it's hard to find the 500 mg stuff, and it makes some people nauseated.I ordered it online and always took it with food.
    You can also ask for a prescription for ammoxicilan or ampicillan -- but the B6 and mucinex or easy to do on your own. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had mucus issues until the past two cycles, so I don't have personal experience (though I might soon) but I've pretty much heard the combo of B6, amox, and Fertile CM supplement. I hope that the issue resolves soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!