Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Another Ultrasound Update

I just got off the phone with my doctor, who is back from Florida and able to lay eyes on my ultrasound pics. The verdict?? He is sure they are ALL THREE follicles! I actually ovulated! On my own! Times three!!!

He suggests keeping with 50mg on CD 3-5 for two more cycles. If I'm not pregnant by then we'll move on to the next step. The good (no-great!) news is that I'm responding really well to the medicine right now. The bad news is that he said those dreaded words (the same ones JBTC just heard): "Everything looks great-you should get pregnant any time now!"  I wanted to scream "then why aren't I???" but I resisted. He's too wonderful to yell at.

A few other things we talked about: getting my thyroid checked (the Hilgers way). Since he is not very comfortable with this aspect of NaPro yet, I'm going to try to do it straight through Hilgers. Both doctors are long distance (so phone visits only) and both are not covered by my insurance-so I may as well go with the expert!  Has anyone else done the thyroid testing long distance with Hilgers? Any adivce?

We also talked about infection (thanks to the promptings of Wheelbarrow Rider). All of my cultures came back negative last November, but I still have all-the-time mucus and TEBB. I told him I was concerned that it was indicative of something underlying and wanted to know if the cultures had been done the "Hilgers" way. He said he needed to brush up on this aspect of NaPro and that he would call me next week. We may do some another round of cultures-but I'm driving through his town on my way home in two weeks so it won't be a problem!

Then he started talking about what to do WHEN I get pregnant (I still said IF). (Since he's out of town-he won't be my OB) We'll start with POI (200mg 2x week) if we can't get the progesterone results back soon enough. If we get them back and they're good, we won't even do it. He suggested getting a quantitative HCG and a progesterone level as soon as I find out. He said to wait on an ultrasound until 7 weeks to listen for a heartbeat, but that if I wanted to see a doctor earlier that I should just explain my history and they should get me in. He didn't mention anything about a beta but I've seen that done for other girls. Anyone care to elaborate on that?

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited! Thank you Lord for my wonderful doctor!

25 comments:

  1. It seems that in perusing the internets on a search for modest clothing, I most frequently come across Latter Day Saints websites, which redirected me to this website. I think you will find it useful.

    http://www.limericki.com/

    Enjoy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! So glad to hear good news. We'll keep praying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They tell you to wait til P17 to get the BETA but I did it at P15 saying I was P17 and thank God I did because my progesterone was so low. I get my progesterone results the next day at labcorp. I didn't start progesterone until I got the results back.

    I'm going to my appointment at 6.5 weeks. We will see the heartbeat but I'm not sure if you can hear it that early.

    Typical napro protocol for beta is either p16 or p17 and every other day to get two levels to see if it's doubling...Make sure you go at the same time each day..If you go at 8am the first day go after 8am the other day....


    Or see a doctor in your area that specializes in thyroid that is in your area and insurance covers...But both arent great options in my opinion....If you had an issue I think you would feel it...I emailed you about that...

    Hang tight sweetie and anticipate God's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this all sounds great, Kaitlin! Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great great great news!!!! Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow, THREE follicles! I am bursting with excitement for you!!! Praying for a little miracle (or three)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kaitlin! What wonderful news!! Maybe you'll be blessed with twins or triplets!!! :) :) :) (Those are three smiley faces for the potential three babies! :) ) I can't wait to hear what happens with you! :) I know God has amazing things in store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could offer advice about Dr. Hilgers and all but I can't so I will offer up more prayers for you this cycle! I have hope for you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on ovulating! keeping my fingers crossed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great news that you ovulated!

    I've done thyroid testing long distance with PPVI and I would just warn you that they tend to put everyone into their thyroid study (meaning they put you on T3). I think it's great that they're doing research like this, but you definitely give up some of the individualized treatment when you're part of a study. It may be the answer for some patients, but it can't possibly work for every single woman in the study. It didn't help me, and I eventually switched to another doctor who put me on meds specifically tailored to me. That being said, PPVI does test the thyroid better than most non-Napro drs and takes into account your symptoms rather than just the numbers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! Congrats! I hope you get your + soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is wonderful news! I have so much hope for you! You will be prayed for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are getting good news! I will pray for even more good news!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for you. That's great news. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa, forgive me! When I glanced at the title, I thought it was the entry before this entry and didn't even read it. I didn't mean to sound insensitive!

    This is exciting news! I hope it all works out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such great news!! Lots of prayers coming your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure if this is what you're asking, but "beta" and "quantative HcG" are the same. Doctors tend to say "beta" instead of "hcg level". When they say "quantative", they are looking at the actual number of hcg in your system, not just a "yes, you're pregnant", "No, you're not pregnant." Once you do have a positive test, they beta should be repeated on the 2nd or 3rd day to make sure the levels are increasing like they should (60% every 2 days is ok, but usually doubling ever 2 days).

    The "when" depends on your doctor. Like Sew said, I think a lot of NaPro start testing at P+17 - especially if the patient is doing the hcg shots during the post-peak phase. My mainstream doctor tests both the beta & the progesterone super early - at either 11 or 12 days past ovulation BUT I am not on post peak hcg.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at all that junk and I completely forgot to say "great news!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. What exciting news!!! Sending lots of prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!! That's wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so happy for you to have great news and a furthered plan!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! Yay! Yay! So great to hear GREAT NEWS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So exciting about ovulation times three! As long as you don't go on post-peak HCG, you can test relatively early and would get a quantitative beta HCG and progesterone as soon as you get a positive HPT. I hope that the thyroid testing goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!