As with all of life's major questions, I'm wondering WHY infertility has to exist. Not so much "why me?" (although I do wonder that as well) but "why at all?" Something dawned on my the other day during my commute and I'm hoping I'll be able to explain my thoughts coherently. Here goes.
Children are gifts. It's as simple (and at the same time ridiculously complex) as that. They are ONLY gifts and they are ALWAYS gifts. No child can ever exist that is not a complete and utter gift from God. As Catholics, we are called to be an example to the world that children are gifts and that human life is precious.
So many Catholic families do a wonderful job providing this example when they welcome children into their homes in large numbers. A family very dear to my heart has nine children (under the age of 12!). They are a living, breathing, in-you-face witness to the fact that children are ALWAYS gifts. No child is unwanted, no child is a burden, no child was created without the hand of God. This family makes people think. They make people uncomfortable. In a world where children are seen as too expensive, too inconvenient, too time consuming, and too much work-this family dares to say, "No they're not!!" They are so pleasing to the Lord because they are spreading His message that children are a gift from Him and should be received with open arms if and when He wants to give them to you.
Another witness to the fact that children are ALWAYS a gift are families of children with special needs. Special needs kiddos have such a "special" place in my heart as a speech-language pathologist. So many families courageously raise children who have the odds stacked against them. They welcome babies into the world despite knowing that they'll have Down's Syndrome or only live for a few hours outside the womb. Children, no matter what kind of problems they may have, are ALWAYS a gift. These families are great witnesses of that.
But even with the great examples of large Catholic familes and parents raising children with special needs, the world is still left wondering why children are ONLY a gift. That's where the infertiles come in. Children are ONLY a gift, meaning they cannot be purchased, demanded, or earned. If God does not wish to bestow this gift upon you, you will not be blessed with the gift of a child. On the flip side of the contraceptive/abortion culture that says children are something to be done away with are those who view children as a right. Both are seriously misguided. Children should not be created in a lab. They shouldn't grow in the tummies of surrogate women who are not their mothers. Immoral practices (specifically masturbation for sperm donation) should never be done so that a couple can have a child.
Maybe it's my responsibility to witness this to the world. You don't deserve children-you are blessed with them. You can't earn them-they are ONLY a gift. When I stand in the back of Mass on Sunday, surrounded by large families witnessing to the blessing of children, I am making just as strong of a statement. It may not be quite as visible, and a lot of people may miss it (or worse-think I'm part of the contraceptive culture), but it's a statement that needs to be made. And somebody's got to do it. And I'm honored that God has asked me to be that somebody.
This doesn't make my childlessness any easier. I still wish I was called to witness to the fact that children are ALWAYS gifts while I loaded them up into our 15 passenger van instead of witnessing to the fact that they're ONLY gifts while driving away in a car without car seats. But knowing that my infertility can do some good in the world makes it a little more bearable. Children are not to be discarded nor avoided nor deserved. And I have the privilege of witnessing to one part of that claim.
AMEN! You are being such a witness- and who knows? Someone contemplating IVF may land on this post and change their mind. :)
ReplyDeleteVery well said! This very thing is one of the few things that helped me throughout the last five years.. knowing that God chose me for the very special task of witnessing to a society that thinks children are a burden or a right. What an honor that is. I always had a hard time putting it into a post.. but you did a great job!
ReplyDeleteWow! Kaitlin, this is excellent. I haven't heard it stated this simply and this clearly until now. I love the distinctions of "always" and "only". Really great post, and I hope it gets a wide reading!
ReplyDeleteYou are so right--we don't get to pick what we are a witness for. I agree with you I wish I were witnessing the other way! But we must all witness as we are called to, not necessarily as we want to, and that's the tough part.
ReplyDeleteThanks for including the part about special needs children. One of my five nephews is special needs--he has mild cerebral palsy and suffers from Aspergers, and now they are wondering if he might be prediabetic. The poor kid has a million odds against him. But he has the biggest, brightest spirit I know. Nobody does happiness like this kid. God bless you for your work with amazing and wonderful children like my nephew Andy.
Great post and very true! We are definitely called to be a witness that children are always and only a gift.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post and perfectly stated!
ReplyDeleteIt is what has helped me get through it knowing that underneath I'm serving a purpose.
Even though you are barren, you still serve a purpose, is what I thought during prayer by the barren tree! ;)
Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, thank you. I have really spent the last year or so (during which I had a miscarriage and then haven't gotten pregnant again) learning this very lesson from God. It's a big pill to swallow, but God gives and takes away. He knows what he is about.
ReplyDeleteAMEN! This is amazing Kaitlin. Such a wonderful way to put things into perspective. Lately your posts have really been lifting my spirits and I thank you for that.
ReplyDeleteI especially love the line,"You don't deserve children - you are blessed with them." I struggle with this often. Working with the population of children I do (and I'm sure you do too) I run across parents who make me very sad. I often think very selfishly "Why do they deserve children and I do not?" I know it is terrible for me to feel this way. Thanks again for putting things into focus.
This is an absolutely beautiful post and a wonderful reminder! Thank you for being such a witness!
ReplyDeleteWell said! I also think about why infertility exists, and I can't help but go back to original sin. Our lives are full of illness, mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical. I think these are all a result of original sin. And, like you said, it's because of our original sin that children are a gift from God, not something we deserve. Great post! You're on a roll sister!
ReplyDeletePerfectly stated. You have a gift, my friend! :) My wish is for everyone to realize that the children are a blessing and a gift and a not a right. I have a reminder of that everyday in Charlie's room-one saying on the wall and another prayer on a plaque to remind me that he is a gift from above. Certainly not something I could have ever earned or deserved!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said friend. you need to write a book - not kidding. your posts are insigjtful, thought provoking, and such an incredible witness to our faith!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteThis post is so beautiful! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI just asked a dear friend who is 55 and IF to be the godmother of the baby I conceived after 2 1/2 years of secondary IF. My friend Mary has an amazing relationship with Christ. She's a devoted wife and she's a spiritual mother. Mary gives me the BEST advice about how to Mother my children. The miracle of the Body of Christ body is so obvious in our friendship. I've got tons of friends to chat about where to find modest maternity bathing suits. I've only got one precious IF friend who I can count on 100% to give me honest advice on how to keep myself always treasuring my vocation as a mother.
This is an excellent post and I'm so happy to see that you have all supportive comments! I wish everyone had this mindset about God's plan for children. Unfortunately, even among our Christian brothers and sisters and sadly among many Catholics as well, the "I deserve a child" mentally- one in which you can use any means to have a child- is all too pervasive. We can continue to pray that people's hearts will be opened to God's Truth!
ReplyDeleteKaitlin, this post was wonderful. I'm glad you had that realization and wrote it down for others to see. God has blessed you with this piece of wisdom, and will continue to bless you!
ReplyDeleteWonderful insight! And, so beautifully expressed!
ReplyDelete