I got several comments on my first "Why I Love My Husband" post from other bloggers wanting to do the same. I think that's awesome! We should all be able to brag about the men whose job it is to help us get to heaven. Some even suggested I get one of those nifty little icons to make it more official.
Like the icon? Well thanks, but I didn't make it. That would be the work of the woman who has way too many the perfect amount of blog features and designs creative icons for every one. :) Thanks Leila!
So I'm laying down some ground rules and some explanations for the "Why I Love My Husband" posts.
I absolutely can't stand when women complain about their husbands. It's one thing to have an actual problem in your marriage and seek the advice, counsel, and support of a good friend. It's another thing completely to trash the man you chose to marry and spend the rest of your life with. It's not acceptable. We need to be building up our husbands with everything we have within us, not cutting them down with hurtful comments to other women. Yes, they have faults. But we don't need to expose those faults to others. We don't need to go on and on about them.
Kimberly Hahn said that we should never speak badly of our husbands because we are one flesh. If we tear our husband down, we're really only hurting ourselves. I love that.
When I write a post dedicated to how much I love Ted, it is not to imply that everything is always perfectly peachy in our marriage. While I do think he's Superman, even Superman falls sometimes. He's not perfect-but that's just another one of the reasons that I love him. So the purpose of these posts isn't to gloss over the difficulties of marriage and pretend like nothing ever goes wrong. The purpose is to rejoice in the special and wonderful things our husbands do for us, to give them a much needed pat on the back, and to brag about how great our "other half" really is. Save the negative stuff for a priest or trusted friend-not a ladies night out.
The rules? Well there aren't any really.
You can do a post like this whenever you want. Not just on Fridays or the second Tuesday of the month or some other day.
You can include as few or as many reasons as you want to explain why you're husband is da bomb.
You can do this often or as infrequent as you want.
Save the icon from the top of this post and use it whenever you write your own.
Linking back to my blog isn't necessary (the credit would only go to my head). I'm not opposed to links-just don't feel obligated.
Ted and I have discussed the fact that every conversation we have with our married friends (and non-married friend for that matter) can either tear marriage down or build it up. (I'm sure we heard this somewhere but we can't remember where. It makes us feel smart to claim it as our own.) It's so easy to fall into the trap of complaining about marriage. It's so easy to let little comments slide without standing up for marriage. "Is Kaitlin gonna LET you go fishing today?" "Gee, Ted seems to be gone an awful lot." Do our conversations with others affirm their marriages? Are we supportive of the crosses they carry? Do we speak highly enough of our own marriage to serve as a witness to the beauty of this awesome sacrament?
If not, I encourage you (and myself!) to get going. Build up your hubbies. Defend your marriage. Be a witness.
I think that's it. Let the bragging.....BEGIN!

Awesome post, Kaitlin!!! I'm excited about the icon, and I love the feature.
ReplyDeleteI get the comment, "Bill is gone an awful lot, doesn't that bother you?", ALL. THE. TIME! It drives me nuts. I always say, "Bill does have a lot on his plate, but we have discussed it, and we are on the same page."
I shouldn't have to defend my marriage to anyone, and if I feel that Bill is taking on too much time away from our family, I am the first person to bring this up to him in a respectful and loving way.
Alright, rant over. haha
Great idea Kaitlin! Leila - I like the icon!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful idea!!! And gosh, I love the icon. ;)
ReplyDeleteI just LOVE this! What an excellent idea. I plan o use it a lot in the future:)
ReplyDeleteLOVE this and I totally agree with everything you said!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am so on this! Thanks for the icon; I couldn't make one to save my life! :)
ReplyDeleteI love love love it!!!! I'm totally with you on being frustrated when others trash their spouses- and love how Kimberly Hahn pointed out the one-flesh irony there. How fabulous! I've got a lot of bragging to do, too, b/c J is SUCH a GREAT DADDY!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! Can't wait to write my post!
ReplyDeleteI'm not married, but I love to see it when others are so intentional about this stuff! It really is important, and it's hard for me (as someone that wants to be married) to hear couples tear each other down. I want to tell them to appreciate what they have. I'm so glad that you all are doing just that. :)
ReplyDeleteI love this post! Your attitude resembles my own so much!
ReplyDeleteWhen were preparing for the sacrament of Marriage, we both were aware of the fact that we are sharing God's love for the world by how we show love to one another. All that being said, we both made a commitment to never trash talk one another or marriage! We really find that this makes a HUGE difference in how we value each other and how others value our commitment to one another!
Don't get me wrong, we have had some serious times of difficulty - all related to growing our family, but God allowed us to have the adequate support we needed to always build up our marriage, praise God! Thanks for starting this, I can't wait to do a post similar to yours.
Love this!!!!!!! You are so cute! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for the reminder not to talk your husband down. We have been married for nearly 11 years and I truly love my husband and would not know what I would do without him. However, my sense of humor is very caustic at time and I will say something jokingly about my husband and not mean it in a 'bad' put-down way but others may perceive that is what I mean especially if they are not good friends with us.
ReplyDeleteThanks again!
I love this idea, Kaitlin!!
ReplyDeleteI think sometimes people make negative comments about their spouses for comic relief, not realizing how awful it can sound. We definitely need to make sure we keep building them up, because that can take more effort.
Thanks for holding us accountable - I know Those Landry's have been guilty of this, even if we're just trying to get a laugh... You won't hear any of this from me tonight at Ladies Night! I'll be on my best behavior, especially if I don't have any alcohol!
ReplyDeleteOh, and Jude lets me have the smaller crispy potatoes, too!
Brilliant! I told Paul at dinner tonight about this and how he won't escape my typing prowess. It makes me happy to know of the enthusiasm behind this "project". Happy Edifying!
ReplyDeleteI found this post through Abigail's Alcove and love it! I think I'm going to have to subscribe to your blog!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I wrote an article/post about this very topic for Sarah on Just Another Day of Catholic Pondering.
Here's the link:
http://domestic-vocation.blogspot.com/2010/08/in-which-i-have-off-site-post.html
Shoot. Here's a hot link.
ReplyDeleteHi Kaitlin - thanks so much for this- LOVE it! I'm a new blogger and just wrote my first post on this. :)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely love the idea, and as you already discovered, joined these postings on my own blog. Sorry I forgot to mention it here! I do wonder, though, how you found out?
ReplyDeletehttp://ourordinarylifeextraordinary.blogspot.com/
I found your blog through the comment you left on mine-then I noticed the icon in the "recommended posts" at the bottom of your recent post :)
ReplyDeleteI just came across your blog, and I have to say that this is so true of my husband and I! Everyone we know uses the cliche` ball and chain humor and actually teases us, chiding, 'oh, give it five years' (I'm happy to say that this Oct. will be 5 years married, 10 together!). A couple we know is getting a divorce (they are the ball and chain joke type) and actually told my sister that they weren't in love and didn't have the same kind of relationship my husband and I have. I'm not going to lie, it felt so good to hear how some of the people that 'tease' us truly felt about us, but then, sad at the same time...like, do they really think we don't have problems we have to overcome, and days that aren't easy? I love that marriage is such a devotion and vocation. And I am so thankful I have a husband who feels the same way!
ReplyDeleteAlso, congrats on your new baby!