Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Mother's Prayer

I had a very sudden realization tonight while I was praying the rosary with a group of women at a friend's home. We all mentioned our petitions before praying and everyone had such heavy, heavy intentions. Parents with cancer, siblings in car accidents, women considering abortion, and conversion of fallen away family members.

During the rosary I could only think of one thing: Hannah.

Her sweet face was the only image I could keep in my mind. Those other things went on the back-burner while I prayed for my girl. And I felt guilty. Hannah was home with her daddy. Safe. Sleeping. Well fed. She didn't "need" my prayers as much as the other people who had been mentioned.

But then it hit me: There is no one in the world who can pray for Hannah like I can. No one.

I know Ted prays for her. And I know her grandparents and godparents and aunts pray for her. Her godfather (a priest) even offers an occasional Mass for her. So the girl is not lacking in advocates before the Lord.

But none of them can pray for her like I can. And none of them will experience the same amount of failure if they don't pray for her enough. My sole responsibility in life-get her (and Ted) to heaven. Pray her to heaven. Pray for her without ceasing.

We all have callings and charisms to pray for certain intentions and causes that are dear to our heart. But no one is closer to my heart than that little girl. No one needs my prayers more than she does.

I no longer feel guilty for praying "just" for Hannah. I feel guilty for not praying for her enough!

9 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Kaitlin. What a lucky lady Hannah is :) So sad I couldn't make it to Rosary night yesterday! Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baby is one. My babies are 26, 23 and 20. The praying goes on forever. It is continual. It is every day and sometimes every hour. I totally agree with you. No one can pray for our children like a mother. Not even a grandmother, even though I pray so often for Hannah. Thanks for this post. Hannah is lucky to have such a wonderful, prayerful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post makes me cry. And want to pray more. A good combo for the Mama of 4 daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU for this reminder! Although I fling up a prayer for my boys here and there, I need to take it much more seriously. God loves a mothers prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the truth of this - every prayer that comes from the heart is as unique and unrepeatable as the person - and I am sure that God is delighted by every prayer we pray, no matter who it's for, and in a special way the prayer of mothers.
    My mom jumps to her novenas for us, her 4 kids, whenever we are in need, and I cannot begin to tell you how powerful those prayers have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed that praying for them often helps when you are praying with them later on and they know what the words you are saying mean!
    Just this week, I was praying with one of the older boys when they were just heartbroken and I was so thankful that all the prayers I say in the silence of the day for all three boys came out effortlessly and he could tell that God was listening! I could literally feel his downcast nature grow confidience in God being present with us as we prayed!
    Joseph is just now really responding to our prayers as we pray as a family. It is beautiful to see your faithful prayers bloom in their lives! Hannah is a blessed little girl. I am thankful for your prayers too during Lent :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful thought! Hannah is so blessed to have you as a momma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post...glad to read your blog! Who knew we were both blogging mama's :)
    Hannah is one lucky lil girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!