Monday, May 21, 2012

Tidbits

We didn't start dinner until after 8:30 tonight. So we decided to eat fried zucchini and bacon. That's it. And it was soooo good.

I submit that there is no food more delicious than home-cured bacon from a pastured pig. None. Go on-just try to disagree. I dare you.

Little girl is getting about 10 teeth at once right now. Poor baby. Poor mama.

Colleen met her kickstarter goal!!!!!!! So all of you who have purchased her album will definitely get it! My giveaway ends this Friday (Thursday at midnight to be exact) so there is still time to pre-buy the album and enter the giveaway to win even more music.

Hannah had a big interview today. So big it left her virtually speechless. Check it out.

One of my dear friends from college is now a priest! He was ordained Saturday and, although we couldn't make it, I am so very happy for him. A brilliant mind. A compassionate heart. A ridiculous sense of humor. He is such a blessing to our Church.

We have a bunch of cucumbers. I don't know what to do with them. Anyone have any fun suggestions?

This was a great article by Jen in the Register today. I've been thinking a lot about blogging and facebook lately. I'm going to keep an eye on the comments and get some other opinions. Mostly I've been thinking about the privacy issue and Hannah's rights to her own "online profile". Is it really ok to post all of this stuff online without her "permission"? I always picture her reading this when she gets older and getting excited about this glimpse into her childhood. But maybe not. Maybe I shouldn't assume. Did you read the article? What do you think?

And I've discovered the facebook fix. It was eating up my time. Why do I even log on? It's 99% stupid crap from people you don't care about and 1% useful information on people you do actually care about. I spent about a half hour the night "unsubscribing" from just about everyone. Close, real life friends, family, and some bloggers-that's all that made the cut. Now when I log on-the newsfeed is incredibly boring. And it doesn't change that quickly. So the temptation to check facebook is GONE! I still have my account to contact people when I need to. I can still check on friends who might have had a baby or gotten married or something big like that. But no more day-to-day updates from people who-let's be honest-wouldn't even be a blip in my memory had it not been for them adding me on facebook 4 years ago. I'm pretty happy with this solution. Thoughts?

I'm going to make bacon for breakfast tomorrow. I'm already drooling.

9 comments:

  1. So much good stuff here! Interesting article about kids and blogs. I think of this often and how much to share about my boys. I don't have a large audience, so that's reassuring regarding safety, but when I get a random google search for "cute little boy", it really weirds me out. Anxious to hear other's thoughts on this too.

    And about FB: I recently did the same thing and it's liberating! Why am I "friends" with someone from middle school who I didn't really like even then? Now I only see who I really care about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that post is a little out there....JMHO.

    My initial reaction was, give me a break..... :)

    Most of the stuff posted on kids isn't even interesting anyway. So what, my kid has excema.......

    I'm just really confused. If no one wants their information searchable, remove the pics and get off the internet. Simple as that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute interview Hannah!!

    My blog is not read by that many people and most of them are family anyway so I am not worried. And I left facebook almost a year ago and don't miss it at all!

    Bacon...hum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview :D
    I will have to argue the bacon one tho...but zucchini- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also regarding the topic of facebook and blogging privacy for children- this is something I have struggled with since I began blogging. My blog has gone back and forth from private to public. Currently it is on a setting that only allows bloggers to view it but that isn't much of a boundary. The plan is to turn the blog into several hard bound books for my kids to have at the end of this summer. There is a great company that does this. Then I will remove my blog and start another one that features creative shots that don't show faces. I just recently deactivated my fb (again) bc I feel so exposed and it takes away time and usually annoys me :D Long winded but Im glad you posed these questions. Im curious other mom's thoughts. BTW this is Michelle your cousin Alex lady. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOO and one of the dangers that can occur with the public forums of FB and blogs is weirdos can copy your pics and use them for personal use. That is my biggest fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you on the FB thing! I recently got verbally attacked for something I posted, and it got me thinking about privacy and how we post our whole lives online--I'm actually working on a post about it. Afterwards, I changed my privacy settings and divided up my friends into a group of close friends, and then everyone else. I removed about 20 people too.

    So what I'm saying is, I agree with your solution. FB can be great for keeping in touch with people you actually care about that you don't get to see very often (or really ever). But I think that's as far as it needs to go, and I'm taking steps to limit it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love fried zucchini and bacon! And I am so impressed you cured your bacon yourself. We buy ours from a farmer now and it really is soo good.

    I always assume Miriam will enjoy reading about her childhood, too, but I do wonder sometimes when I'm writing about her poop habits for the umpteenth time! I was actually a little surprised that Jen went in that direction because I've always noticed how she never talks specifics about her kids. (I was surprised we even got to hear her new daughter's name!) Anyway, I'd like to think that as Miriam gets older I'll include fewer details, but to be honest I'm not sure I will. I imagine one day my husband will draw a line and I'll just go with that :)

    I can't believe you took so long to unsubscribe from those people! It's soo much better now, isn't it? On the flip side, I also have most of my "friends" on an extremely limited view of what they can see of my profile, and only people within a designated list can see my wall. Having those settings on both sides - what I see and what others see - are the only reason I'm still on there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am going to stop putting up full albums of pictures on facebook and just send the pictures to family through Shutterfly. I'll probably still post an occasional picture to my wall though.

    And That Married Couple-Jen commented in the discussion on the post that if she were to start a "mommy blog" she would be ok with posting pictures of her kids-but that's the focus of her current blog. I was shocked like you at her opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!