-1-
I'm finding that when I log into blogger to write a new post, I'm sucked into reading old entries for faaaar too long. I think I'm getting all sentimental and nostalgic with a new baby coming. But really, I love reading old posts. I am so grateful that I've kept up this blog for as long as I have. And so grateful that people actually read it so I stay motivated to continue. So, thanks for reading!
-2-
Another reason I love blogging is the instant advice I can get from like minded people. For example, anyone have any advice helping a toddler transition into becoming a big sister? I'm confident that she's gonna do great. She LOVES babies. Obsessively. But I know her fascinationwon't last forever. Any little tips to make life a little easier for my sweet Hannah?
-3-
And while we're at it-I could use some good book recommendations. Hannah's attention span for book reading has quadrupled in the last few weeks. We are reading real stories and she's following along and loving it. Yesterday I caught her reading Corduroy to herself. "Bear. Oh no-button! Bang (the lamp falling)"I should be able to think of other titles she would love-but I'm just drawing a blank. What books do your toddlers love? Simple stories with just a few sentences per page. Mom-what were my favorites? I can't even remember! Our library account awaits your comments!
-4-
Every mom reading this should check out this article by Jen of Conversion Diary. So very good. Long-but worth the read!A meditation on the shocking idea that maybe we're not just lazy whiners
-5-
We'll be 35 weeks pregnant tomorrow! I don't think I've mentioned that baby is happily head down! Laying upside down and putting frozen veggies on his head did the trick. Mean-I know.
I'm constantly waffling between "Oh my gosh I'm not ready for this baby-I need more time!" and "When will this baby get here??? I can't wait any longer!" I re-read Hannah's birth story a few nights ago and cried like I always do. It got me super excited for labor....in a this-is-probably-going-to-suck-but-be-totally-worth-it kind of way.
I'm constantly waffling between "Oh my gosh I'm not ready for this baby-I need more time!" and "When will this baby get here??? I can't wait any longer!" I re-read Hannah's birth story a few nights ago and cried like I always do. It got me super excited for labor....in a this-is-probably-going-to-suck-but-be-totally-worth-it kind of way.
-6-
My heart gets so full when I look at this picture. She's so big. The cradle is so little. We are so very, very blessed.
-7-
Ted and I are going to the movies tonight! We're going to Les Miserables together-I've seen it once and can't wait to see it again (yes-I'm actually getting him to go to a musical!) A much needed date night-we're so excited. Our next date night will be on the baby's due date (February 24th) as is tradition. And the one after that will probably be early 2014.....Have a fantastic weekend!

After baby gets here try to carve out some time hit for you and Hannah. I know this sounds obvious, but you'll be so busy with the baby that its so easy to forget. Take her for a walk while Ted watches the baby, etc. also try to keep Hannah's routine as much the same as possible. Obviously you can't pick her up for a little while...but if you usually do her bedtime routing keep doing it as much as possible. And extra snuggles! Lots of extra snuggles!
ReplyDeleteOh, and feel her out. If she wants to help make a big deal about her being the big sister and Mona's helper. If she's whiny hold her like a baby and tell her she's momma's baby. I noticeably-Grace goes back and forth and is usually wanting to be my baby when I haven't given her enough attention.
ENJOY YOUR DATE!!!
I think the transition to Big Sister is going to be pretty easy. Every kid likes to be the "big one." Occassionally there might be some regression--which is just cute, not scary. "Oh I want a blanket too!" Or "I want my juice in a bottle too." Just roll with it like the gentle soul that you are. She'll be done playing "baby" in like 60 seconds and happily back to toddler land.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'd encourage you to let Hannah hold the baby-even as a newborn. You hold the baby's neck and let Hannah hold the body. My toddler kisses the baby on the head and rubs her feet. I taught Tess to stay away from touching the baby's hands to stop from spreading germs. You can start practicing now with one of Hannah's baby dolls.
Having a sibling is the best gift you can give Hannah.
ReplyDeleteThe transition is beautiful to watch! Nothing special I think is needed. You are already able to give her a special gift from God, nothing can top that!
She is going to ADORE being a big sis! 5 months later, H adores her sister. Runs to her when she cries, gives her toys, feeds her her probiotic bottle, etc...etc...
No worries, the new baby will nestle in just fine. :)
Having a sibling is the best gift you can give Hannah.
ReplyDeleteThe transition is beautiful to watch! Nothing special I think is needed. You are already able to give her a special gift from God, nothing can top that!
She is going to ADORE being a big sis! 5 months later, H adores her sister. Runs to her when she cries, gives her toys, feeds her her probiotic bottle, etc...etc...
No worries, the new baby will nestle in just fine. :)
Sandra Boyton books are a big hit over here. Particularly the Belly Button Book. My guy is still pretty busy and doesn't sit still for books much longer than that. The Llama llama series is cute. I love the oldies- Harry the dirty dog, Babar, etc.
ReplyDeleteMy two year old's current favorites are The Red Sled by Lita Judge (your library will have this one I'm sure, unless there's not enough snow in Missouri to warrant it?)and Over At The Castle by Boni Ashburn
ReplyDeleteTry to help her get used to shortcuts (I don't know how to this this, sorry. If you figure it out then could you discuss it a bit on your blog). It was very difficult for me to get my older child(ren) down for naps. The baby would be crying and crying and crying and the older ones were still insistent that I stick to every one of their pre-nap festivities: Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel (this is a loooonnnng one. I almost trashed it several times but it would have broken his little heart so it's still here) two songs, kiss every body part, discuss what we did before nap and what we will do after nap etc. etc. If at all possible move this stuff to bed time when you have help from your husband because doing it while the baby is crying really put my stress level through the roof. But the good news is that this was the hardest part for me (by far). Other then this my kids always loved the new baby.
I don't recall that we did anything special with our oldest when #2 was born.
ReplyDeleteAs for books, Corduroy is a favorite at our house, too. Another fun and favorite one is Where the Wild Things Are.
Wow, it's amazing you're so far along. I know I don't comment a lot, but I read and it seems to have gone so fast. of course, the older I get, the faster time flies in general and my own pregnancies don't seem to last all that long, even though they are all 9 months. :)
Blessings as you move into these last weeks.
Goodnight Moon, Big Red Barn, lots of Mother Goose books, Eric Carle books,
ReplyDeleteI second Harry the dirty dog and Sandra Boyton books-pajama time, snuggle puppy, barnyard time & the pig one is super cute. My 2, now 3 year old loves them. I'd like to add any little quack books and Pete the cat. New to your blog. I enjoy it very much! Renea
ReplyDeleteDes Moines, IA
Honestly all of the transitions have gone a lot smoother than I thought. Even this last one with mama's boy Leo! He constantly comes and pets her and says, "Nice!" and sometimes, "Don't cry baby!" He is so sweet and gentle and loving. What Sew said - siblings are the best!
ReplyDeleteBooks! We have a million.
Leo's current favorites are
Polar Bear Polar Bear what do you hear
Goodnight Moon
Hop on Pop
Baby Beluga
Wheels on the Bus
Anything with stuff he can feel - That's not my reindeer etc
The Foot Book
Are you my mother?
Baby Beluga has been the absolute favorite of three of my little brothers! I currently am reading it three or more times a day to my little 18 month old brother. Listen to Raffi's song and sing it-it's a big hit!
ReplyDelete{Kathy} Transitioning for your toddler will be much smoother than you think. A newborn requires not much more than breasts and diapers, so you won't feel like you are ignoring your little girl. They are really just small breaks for her to learn how to be on her own for a few minutes.
ReplyDeleteMy first two boys were 19 months apart (they are now 19 and 17.5). The best advice I can give you is to get as much help as possible in all the areas you can. These are great years ahead. And remember, you are literally doing the most important work on the planet. Seriously.