Friday, March 8, 2013

Five Days with Paul


Home
Paul was born Monday afternoon and we left the hospital Tuesday evening. I had mixed feelings. I was ready to get home and sleep in my own bed-without any nurses to wake me up every hour to take my temperature needlessly for the millionth time. The downside, however, meant no more Percocet.


Male
Ted has two older sisters. I have two younger sisters. Other than the baby boys I babysat years ago, I have very little experience in this realm of testosterone. When Paul was born the very first thing I saw was his man parts. In all their glory. No announcement was needed-the whole room knew we had a boy.

Diapers
I've only been peed on once so far. Not that big of a feat considering I've really only changed about four diapers (love my sweet husband!). Ted observed me wiping Paul down after a poop and shouted, "Easy easy!" Apparently those things are sensitive. I just thought he was screaming because of the cold wipe. Lesson learned-treat those things with care.

Little guy had two poops his first day of life. And already this morning has pooped four times. We've had a few blowouts and even one down to the socks. I'm so proud :)

Nursing
Good poop means good milk! My milk came in Wednesday night and he loves it. I do not, however, love his latch. Tight little mouth that he refuses to open wide. Sore nipples that are getting munched on every two hours. We're experimenting with the football hold and it seems to be helping.


Ice Cream
We had an ice cream party to celebrate his arrival. It was Hannah's first time eating ice cream (coconut milk ice cream is expensive!) and she loved it. She did not, however, like the fact that we said Happy Birthday Paul. It is definitely still her birthday in her world.



Recovery
Let me just say this-recovering with a tear and recovering without a tear are two totally different experiences. What? You think I meant that I have a bad tear right now? Oh  no. That would be my 7 pound little girl who ripped me up and caused me so much postpartum pain. My 9 1/2 pound chunker? A teeny tiny tear that barely required one stitch. Life is good. I can sit on chairs, squat, and don't have to tend to my wounds a hundred times a day.

Sleep
I know they say to wake a newborn up every three hours to nurse. But when a 9 pound baby sleeps for 5 straight hours.....I'm gonna let it slide. He is having some burping difficulty at night-which of course is gone during the day. We've spent 1-2 hours each night just trying to get him to burp and be comfortable. But after we get it out of him, he's sleeping pretty well.

God blessed us with a miracle on our first night home-Hannah slept through the night! This hasn't happened in over a month. It only lasted one night, but she's still doing better than she has been in recent weeks. The second night we were home we tried to move the rocker out of her room into our room so I could nurse in it at night. This resulted in a total meltdown that left both of us in tears. She still needs her rocker to be snuggled in. I still need to snuggle her. We're just not ready for that yet. My back will have to deal with nursing in the bed for the time being.


Siblings
Hannah is adjusting pretty well. My parents just left this morning and Ted's mom is coming this afternoon-so she has not lacked for attention. She likes Paul, but isn't obsessed with him. She runs to him when he cries and tells me "mama, nurse!"  She gives him kisses, turns on his noise machine for him, and has only whacked him once.





Birth
I'm still processing everything from Paul's birth. It was different than what I hoped for-but not necessarily in a bad way. Very, very different from Hannah's and I'm a little slow to let it all sink in. I know that writing it out will help me figure out my feelings-it always does.

Snuggles
I forgot how sweet they are smashed up against you in a Moby Wrap.

25 comments:

  1. The whole bit about the man parts being sensitive cracked me up!!!

    The hospital couldn't send you home with Percocet? I got a prescription with a refill after MG. It was GLORIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are recovering well and finding your groove as a family of four.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got Percocet after a vaginal birth?? No fair! I've only ever gotten acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm allergic to NSAIDS (so no ibuprofen or motrin for me) so I got the goods! :) Just tell them your allergic next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really have been checking your blog frequently for updates! Thanks for this very generous post with photos! Enjoy that little guy! (P.S. Hannah looks so old and precious!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This should tide me over for a few more days... or you can call me when you have time and give me a personalized birth story (no pressure).
    He's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tid-bits of information here. I'm glad your family has been able to be there. That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post. You guys look so happy! A beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the update!!!! Glad your milk is in but booo for the bad latch. :( Hope that corrects soon. Hannah looks so happy with the ice cream and holding her brother!!! Love your precious family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you! Even though there are more kids to deal with at home, my recoveries have gotten easier with each child. No tearing is HUGE and so is your body and head just knowing what they are doing. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So wonderful. It's all so wonderful. Hannah sounds pretty normal to me - I'd say she's doing great. :)

    And I can't get over how handsome Paul is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nah, that won't work, I've given birth at that hospital twice now so they know I can have NSAIDs. :P Too bad they didn't send you home with a script!

    I'm glad your tearing was minimal, but even so, these are heavenly: http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/postpartum-recovery/postpartum-bath-herbs-new.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to hear everything is going well. I always have natural births, but can only take tylenol because I'm allergic to everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos! So happy for you all.

    And JoAnna, P.V. Hospital always gave me Percocet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post. Cant wait for the birth story. Glad your tear was minimsl. Hud had a bad latch too. Went to football hold and lactation consult for help. Hes perfect and hannah is precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You all are such a cute family!

    My hospital gives me Vicodin. Every birth,my afterpains are worse and I miss it more when I go home.

    Actually...the boy version of the man business is not sensitive-not more than other delicate parts of babies. Not like a grown-up. You will learn this when Paul is older and plays "let's see how far we can stretch this thing" in the bathtub, and at every diaper change, and when he strips himself for fun...etc. My boys stand in the shower and laugh at each other as they squeeze and stretch their business. It is profoundly creepy. Welcome to the world of raising boys!

    Tears vs. no tears is definitely amazing. Vinnie was my first tear-free birth. Recovery was a joke.

    I'm glad to see you're doing well, and I hope you have time to write your birth story soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok the man parts thing is hysterical! Yes, apparently you have to be careful with those things! Lol so funny. Love the pictures!! Congrats on your little man! Can't wait to hear the birth story!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! I was just thinking about you this morning and how it must be close to baby time. So pleased to stop by and see such beautiful pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome home! Great pics and wonderful tidbits! I can't wait to read the birth story...still can't believe *you* birthed a 9+ lb baby! Have you heard of pee-pee tee-pees? fabric cones you can place over his "hose" so he doesn't soak himself when you're changing diapers!

    Does Hannah have a dairy allergy? 2 of my kiddos do, so I feel your pain. Recipe modification is quite the art!

    God bless you! I hope your recover continues well despite no percocet (can't believe they didn't give you a prescription considering your allergy!) Now go snuggle that handsome hunk of a baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy for you! I think the boy parts should be the dads domain, myself. Oh lord they never stop talking about them. M got hermit crabs for her bday and JP came over the next day with a worried look on his face. He goes, "mommy do you know what would WEALLY hurt? If the cwabs pinched my Peenee!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorite picture is the one with the ice cream. My wiping experience was the other way around because I had two boys first and I just had to get used to wiping my baby girl, so different and I think you have to be so much more careful with girls, with boys I just lift, wipe and let everything fall back into place :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. He is so handsome! What a great transition it sounds like you're having. Waking a baby every three hours? Oh no she di'int! No waking the baby evah!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful summary of your first days with your baby. Ironically, I also tore with my smaller babies but didn't with my biggest. She was only 6lbs 11oz, so you win there.


    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved the updates and hope you continue to do well! Yeah for one measly little tear. :)

    One "worked for us" suggestion for the clamping: craniosacral work from a trained chiropractor. Cecilia clamped for the first three weeks (ouch!) until we finally explored this option. It greatly improved after one visit (I stopped crying and cursing) and was "fixed" after two vists. It seems that all of the time she spent OP with her hand up by her face put extra pressure on her palate and shifted it a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!