Friday, April 30, 2010

7 Quick Takes (2)


-1-

We're buying a new car! Well, a used one, but new to us. The a/c went out in mine and will cost $1000 to fix. This is at least double what my car is worth. It's time to part ways with my beloved Alero. We're looking to buy a Chevy Equinox. We're wanting something a little bigger (in case we every actually do see two line on  a pregnancy test.)

-2-

Speaking of new car, we are driving to Slidell, LA tomorrow morning to hopefully buy the one we want. Anyone live in or near Slidell? Got any tips on a great place to eat?

-3-

I seriously dislike car salesmen. This will be the third car I've purchased in my lifetime (well my parents bought the first-thanks mom and dad!) Almost every car that my family has purchased has been through my ex-boyfriend's dad, who is a used car salesman (but an honest one!) I don't like having to do the whole negotiation thing-I just want the bottom line and let's be done with it. I test drove a car yesterday afternoon and was lied to within the first minute of looking at it. "What kind of gas mileage does this car get?" (I knew it got about 23). "27," the dealer replied, without even thinking about it. I asked him to check on that for me and he called his boss inside. This was what I heard on his end of the conversation: "25? ok, I was thinking it was 24."

Me: You said 27, not 24.
Him: Did I?
Me: You did. I smiled sweetly.
Him: I think I said 24.
Me: No, you said 27.
Him: I said 24-27.

Seriously?? It's scary to think that someone can lie that easily without even flinching. Yuck-we will not be buying a car from Mr. Pants on Fire.

-4-

I made an appointment today for a fitting for my bridesmaid dress for a friend's wedding. The wedding is in late July and we picked the dressed out around Christmas time, right before my surgery. At the time, I couldn't decide what size to get because I was hoping I'd get pregnant right after the surgery. I didn't want to buy it too small and then not fit into it with a 5-6 month baby in my belly.  Some of the other bridesmaids suggested getting a bigger size-but they had no idea how much it would hurt to come to the fitting and have the dress taken IN!  I tear up when I think about that decision. It was pointless to even think about. I'll walk down the aisle at her wedding without the slightest little bump. This sucks.

-5-

Ted is finished with his finals for the semester! He got a 4.0 for the second semester in a row! Good job babe! We celebrated with a wonderful dinner at a Mexican restaurant where I unfortunately enjoyed a margarita and a beer. Alcohol is bittersweet.

-6-

I'm so excited that tomorrow is May! May is the month that school gets out, that my sister graduates high school (and gives her valedictorian speech), when my other sister graduates college and becomes an outstanding nurse, and the month that my dear friend Deacon Jason is ordained a priest!!! I remember being a sophomore in high school when he was accepted into the seminary and the time has finally come for him to be ordained! I can't wait to go to him for confession-I've always been able to talk to him about anything anyway. But as with every big event, it will be hard for me knowing that I fully expected to have a little baby ready for him to baptize. Does anyone else do this? Picture big events (wedding, ordinations, etc) and imagine you'll have a belly/baby by then? Why do I torture myself?

-7-

What do you do when you don't have anything to say for #7???

13 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the month of MAY as well. It is my favorite month of the year! The month of Mary, it starts with the feast of St. Joseph the Worker, St. Peregrine, St. Isidore, our wedding anniversary, the Feast of the Visitation, I could go on and on. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely understand the bridemaid dress thing. I had to order the dress for my SIL's wedding about 6 months before her wedding so I ordered a couple sizes bigger. Her two year anniversary is in 3 months and I'm not even pregnant yet. I hope May is a lovely month for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need a new car. Going without a/c in the summer in the deep South? Totally doable :)

    Good job to Ted on the 4.0! Have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JBTC-that's just like to remind me of all the HOLY reasons to be exited for May! And considering my blog's title-I'm a little embarassed that I missed that point! :)

    Ann-ha! Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the awkward bridesmaid dress situation too. I was in the store with my Mom who knew we were TTC and hinted that I get a bigger size. Well, I ordered my true size right after my 4th miscarriage counting ahead that I'd be at most 25 weeks if there were an absolute miracle. Well, if this pregnancy continues, I'll be 19 weeks and my true size will be fine given it is an A-line dress. I'm so sorry you have to go through the pain of getting it taken in. I'll be praying for you every time I put on my bridesmaid dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more thing. I hope Ann is kidding. I remember living in the Bible Belt and driving from the hospital to the clinic in the afternoons only to pour sweat upon getting into the car!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about the bridesmaid dress. It's so hard, I know.

    You have quite the apostalate going on here wiht this blog, good for you. At a women's conference I was at Teresa Tomeo said, "make your misery your ministry." It looks like you have.

    May God bless you abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for May!! School is almost out, tho we have to make up those ridiculous snow days where there was little to no snow so my actual last day is June 2nd :(
    Totally do the same thing - envisioning our lives with a baby for major events. I remembered thinking I would not be able to go to the beach with my family in June b/c our baby would be here May 6. And I thought it was such divine intervention that I was going to have our baby three days before Mothers Day....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the car- how fun it will be to cruise around during this beautiful month! Congrats to your hubby! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the car buying. DH and I just bought one on New Years Eve. It's definitely intimidating. Just don't be scared to walk away. They will tell you anything to get you to buy something.

    I always picture myself either pregnant or with a baby. I know it's not good for my emotional stability but I can't help it. So I completely understand. I'll be praying for you.

    I love May too! Although it's super hot here in Florida for some reason I always think of it a Spring. And although my kids are getting out of school in June this year it always reminds me of the end of the year. Come on summer break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just bought a Saturn Vue a couple weeks ago, which we joyfully paid for with one check. :) Paul had proudly driven the Subaru Legacy for over a year with no a.c., no reversing, and daily engine shut-downs. I'm grateful for his sacrifice. Good luck with your search. I'll pray your choice is made simple with a peace accompanying the vehicle you need when you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaitlin, I just recently found your blog through a friend's. I really relate to your comment about how you picture big events and hope to have a baby by then, except I do it differently - I picture big events and hope to have met "the One" by then. Still no sign of him, but I know God has it all planned. Just a reminder that there are some girls who would give a lot to be happily married like you are - count your blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!