Friday, October 8, 2010

My Response

Ok, this is going to be a long one. And I have about a million thoughts. Stay with me.

During the last two weeks I've found myself coming up closer against against the enemy of life. I've found it difficult to keep anger and despair away from my heart as I learn of how much effect the devil is having on the world at this moment. A dear blogger friend wrote a post last week about the lack of assistance she received from Christian families when her daughter was in the NICU. As if I wasn't upset enough just from reading the post-one commenter actually had the nerve to tell her it was her own fault! The rationale was that since this Catholic, stay-at-home mom spends so much time focused on raising her family and not being involved with events outside the home-she has isolated herself and pretty much got what she deserved.

I fumed.

I wrote a hundred counter responses in my head. I wanted to stick up for my friend...but I was running late for work. I emailed her and told her I was going to leave a comment later and that I was going to think and pray about what I should say so it wouldn't be too mean. I told her that I hoped she wasn't upset by the ignorant comment.

But before I could get a response typed out on the post-she emailed me back. "Oh come on Kaitlin. You've got to laugh at the devil when you see him. Let it go." Just like that-she didn't let it get to her. She recognized that the hurtful comment was not of God. She knew her lifestyle was the one that God was calling her to lead. And she let it go. I have so much to learn...

I've also been in awe by the explosion that's gone on at the Bubble in the past week. Leila is preaching the TRUTH and people are angry. [If you're not familiar-it's a blog that teaches about the Catholic faith. Non-Catholics come and leave/answer a lot of questions. Sometimes it gets heated.] I've found myself wanting to chime in, but I'm scared. I'm not that smart. I might not be able to back up all my points. What if someone attacks me? What if I get made fun of? What if someone comes over to MY blog and starts to question me the way they question Leila? So I kept quiet. I read along with every single post and silently cheered my friends on. Silently.

So even though I've found myself coming up against some evil forces lately-what has my approach been? To let it bother me. To get mad about it. To silently cheer on those who are fighting the fight of faith.

0 for 3. Nice.

Last week's Sunday readings really spoke to me. In his letter to Timothy, St. Paul writes,"I remind you to stir into flame the gift of God that you have through the imposition of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. Do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord...but bear your share of hardships for the gospel with the strength that comes from God." (How does St. Paul know me so well??)

And in the gospel, Jesus tells us, "Increase your faith."

Is my faith increasing? Am I ashamed of my testimony to the Lord? Am I willing to bear my share of hardships? Do I recognize the strength I have from God?

Last Sunday, it was very clear to me that a test was coming. The events (both those I've listed, and numerous others) of last week that lead up to my hearing the words of those readings were not coincidence. I knew a test was coming. I prayed for strength.

This blog has taken a completely different turn from when I started writing it. I thought it was just going to be for friends and family. I had no idea that strangers in blogland would actually take interest in what I had to say. I had no idea that friends and family would actually continue reading. It's way bigger than I ever imagined it would be. I realize now that I have NO idea who is reading this. I know certain family members have told me they're reading. I know that there are 74 people who are "followers". I know that my blog stats say that 200-400 people are coming to my site when there's a new post.

That's a lot of people to piss off. That's a lot of opinions that are different from mine. That's a lot of potential hardship to bear.

For whatever reason, I joined in on one of the recent arguments at the Bubble. I could no longer remain silent. I could no longer silently support those defending life and treat the conversation as merely a learning tool for my own knowledge. I leaped.

But it still wasn't on MY blog. How many of my family and friends are actually reading the Bubble? How many of them will ever know that I commented over there? My guess is-not many. That was comforting to me.

But I knew it wasn't enough. The whole "easy to be a missionary in a foreign land, harder in your home country" kind of thing-only blog style. God was telling me to do more.

As I left comments on the Bubble, I received emails from dear blogger friends encouraging me. People telling me that I made a good point and that I said it well. They cheered ME on. And not silently.

And my mom said something to me today that really blew me away. She's giving a talk at a retreat later this month about Christian leadership. She's using me and my blogging as an example of how to "lead". She's going to tell the retreatants that I share my faith on my blog with anyone who reads it.

Yes, my mom. My mom who doesn't even agree with many of the beliefs I hold and profess. She recognizes that this is a forum for me to stand up for what I believe in. A possible opportunity for me to "lead" others.

If she only knew how much I was holding back. If she only knew how much courage I lack when it comes to wanting to post about certain topics. If she only knew that her fearless leader was a coward most of the time.

So it stops today. I'm no longer going to stop and consider who is reading this when I sit down to write. I'm not going to worry that I'll offend a family member, an in-law, a random classmate from high school, a close friend, a stranger just following along. I will not be ashamed of my testimony to the Lord.

Specifically, the "controversy" surrounding the last two weeks has been regarding the rights of the unborn. Human life begins at conception. I'm sure most of my readers would agree with that assertion, because I think most of them are Catholic or Christian.

We must do everything we can to protect that life. That brand new, incredibly vulnerable life. If you believe that life begins at conception, then a certain amount of other beliefs must follow.

Obviously, abortion is completely immoral.

Embryonic stem-cell research is never ok, no matter what kinds of outcomes may result. It kills human life. Period.

In-vitro fertilization is a crime to millions of unborn babies. "Selective reduction"-killing off "extra" babies or killing babies that may have some sort of defect. Keeping human beings frozen indefinitely. It's evil. It's worse. It's evil under the guise of good.

Birth control pills kill human life. They primarily work by suppressing ovulation, but that only works part of the time. The other times they make the lining of the uterus unable to support the tiny embryo. So you conceive a baby and it dies in your womb without you knowing it. You're just as much a parent as I am. Your children have siblings they will only meet in heaven. How often does this happen? Often. (Yes, I realize I should cite sources here. But this post is not primarily about birth control. That is for another day. But a quick google search will tell you about the four function of the pill.)

Those are some pretty counter-cultural truths. Sometimes I so surrounded by people who think and believe the way I do (thank God!) that I forget people don't understand those. But the events of the last two weeks have reminded me otherwise. I'm counter-cultural. I'm on the "fringe of society." My views make people uncomfortable and mad. And I am just going to have to live with that.

I don't know how to end this post exactly. I usually like my posts to have a solid introduction and wrap up nicely at the end, but this post has just been a stream of thoughts coming out of my head almost faster than I can type. So I'll guess I'll just end it.

"Increase your faith."

14 comments:

  1. Kaitlin! The Bubble is bursting... with joy, that is!! St. Paul's words... wow, how perfect!! I am so excited to see where God takes this blog. You certainly are becoming 'more like Mary' who was the most courageous woman of all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am very grateful that the "Bubble" is there, and greatly admire her courage and boldness in starting discussions and debates ~ I also know that I am nowhere near that extroverted, and you should not beat yourself up if you aren't either.

    That said, this is your little part of the blog-o-sphere and you should write whatever is in your heart and mind, and let the comments fall where they will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to write tonight how I loved your last post called "crippled" when I found this new post.

    wow!!! 2 great posts filled with truths. You are not in any way lacking courage. You stated in both clearly that life is to be defended something that most people dare not say. Please keep on writing about this in your own beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JUST AWESOME! Such beautiful thoughts and reflections. And Kaitlin, don't worry, we got your back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's no holding her back now! Go Kaitlin GO!!!!!! Your responses at the Bubble have been EXCELLENT! So go on! Preach it!!!!!

    (And A is your friend IRL? Cool! I adore her blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful :)
    I am happy, for now, with where I am in my writing. I consider myself a "gateway" blog, (hopefully) bringing others into our circle through the shared and current infertility struggle, and through my blog they will hopefully find blogs like yours and the Bubble, where they'll learn more about the Truth :)
    When and if I ever cross over, I have seriously considered becoming much more vocal on the Truth on my own blog.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo!! Go Kaitlin!! I feel the same way a lot of the time--I'm just overwhelmed by the battle so I just try to hide away and not get involved, but then I feel bad for not getting involved...so I know what you mean.

    This post is fantastic! I agree with Joy though, some people are extroverted and some are not, and both live their faith and display their faith in different yet equally important ways.

    I for one have always felt a calm, joyful sense of faith about your blog. In a way, the faith that radiates from your blog gives me a sort of sense of peacefulness, and that is every bit as important (and as faithful) as the fired-up-ness I get from Leila's. Your complete and utter genuine joy in the faith is contagious. :) I guess what I am trying to say is that the faith I feel from your blog helps me to "be still and know" that He is God.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are such a smart person and your life, whether you are yelling from the rooftops or defending the faith in a more quiet manner, is a wonderful witness.

    I’m getting very concerned about the people who are “feeling bad” about not getting involved in all of these debates. If we believe what we preach, then we know that different people have different strengths & callings and, in any event, there is a season for everything. I don’t think it is for everyone (take for instance, the lady you mentioned who let it roll off of her – should her response have been more vocal? More defensive? Probably not. She had more pressing concerns.) but it is wonderful if that is what you feel called to do. But, never ever doubt that you area a living testament! I wish I had an ounce of your faith when I was your age (not that I'm ancient, but I wasn't in the same place as you.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann-you are so right! That's one thing I hope to be able to be better at discerning in the future. Knowing when to stand up and fight and when to let the devil just roll off your back. There are definitely times that call for different responses and no one should feel guilty if the Holy Spirit is asking them to prayerfull and quietly respond, rather than with a roar. That is exactly what he was asking of me in that certain situation-silence.

    Hebrews-that is one of the nicest compliments I have ever received! "Be still and know I am God" is one my favorite passages! (But are you sure it's not just calm blue background?? Ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with everyone here! God doesn't need us to do the same things in the same way. We are to discern what it is that we do best, what He calls us to do, what He gifted us for. Some are teachers, some are healers, some are prophets, some are contemplatives, some are artists, some are out in the world, some are quiet, some are more vocal, etc. I think we all get to that place of peace when we find out what are strengths are and what our weaknesses are.

    For example, I am a writer, just by nature (never learned it, can't teach it). So, I discern that God is happy if I write. I also like things to make sense/logic. So, I write and try to make things logical. Not everyone has that style, and not everyone responds to that style. It's all good, so we reach everyone with different methods.

    I also have had to modify. I have liked to use sarcasm and written "eye-rolling" a lot, but I have toned it down, consciously, and I am trying to write with no emotion and even with self-deprecation. That is important in my spiritual growth, and in reaching others. I am teaching myself how to be kind but not "nice" (as my blog post said).

    Kaitlin is naturally a kind person, and her challenges, while firm, will no doubt be softer and more pleasing to many people, and she will draw people to the truth in ways I cannot. I love that!!!!

    It's all good. I love all your blogs just as they are, and no matter where you take them. I know that this is the rule of thumb for anything we do: The more we are ourselves, the more effective we will be and the more at peace we will be.

    God is good and this is exciting!! Kaitlin, for a "youngin" you are so grounded and focused! I love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS: Irony of ironies, I am actually an introvert. But some introverts love a good debate, and I am one of those, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *our

    (I say I'm a writer, then I can't write!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Proud of you! And I also agree with Ann, your life is a witness and the joy radiates from you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amen! I'm one of those "anonymous" readers who found your blog through a link on another blog, and I totally agree with Hebrews-- reading your blog is so uplifting and helpful! Keep it up! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!