Monday, January 17, 2011

Those Comments

I hate those comments. The ones that are said in passing. As an after thought. As if they're part of a natural, normal conversation.



But the truth behind those comments is disheartening-to say the least.



At our 37 week appointment last Wednesday we met with a different doctor than our usual OB. Our doctor was at the hospital delivering a baby-so we just saw the next available doc. Nice enough. Gave us time to ask questions. Told us to come to the hospital when contractions were eight minutes apart (ha! like that's gonna happen!).



Nothing particularly noteworthy about the visit. Except those dang comments.


The first:
"So, Ted, have you pretty much been a 'yes man' throughout the pregnancy?"


What?? I guess understand his reasons for uttering such a stupid comment. He's bonding with the guy over the rigorous job of having a pregnant wife. He's impressing the woman by making it clear that her husband needs to do her bidding and be at her beck and call. He's making light, casual conversation with two people he's never met before.


But it's more than that. That comment speaks volumes about his view of marriage. The pregnant woman is bossy, demanding, and controlling. It's the husband's job to satisfy her every desire or else face the wrath of her raging hormones. The husband is not the head of the household, but rather a 'yes man' to the whims of his wife.


Sad. Maybe he's in a marriage with a wife that actually treats him that way. Maybe he's seen so many couples in his office that actually act like that that he thinks it's normal. Either way-it's unfortunate.


The second:
At the end of the appointment he holds up my chart and says, "Your chart looks great. You're in great shape. It must be nice to have such a normal, healthy pregnancy."


"Oh yes," I replied. "We're very grateful. It took a lot for us to get pregnant and part of me was worried that since my body didn't know how to get pregnant that it wouldn't know how to be pregnant. We're so fortunate things have been going so well."


And then.... "Now you'll just be hoping your body can figure out how NOT to get pregnant!"


Really?? You think someone that tried as hard as we did to conceive is WORRIED about it happening a second time??  Again, I get the reasoning behind this comment. How many pregnant women he must see in a day that are already asking about birth control before their baby is even born! It's casual, natural conversation for an OB and his patient.


But if you look past the comment-it reveals his thoughts on the gift of a child. Gift-of course children are a gift..... when they're perfectly planned and timed accordingly and come when we want them to. Other than that-we'll just hope your body figures out how not to get pregnant. You wouldn't want all that time and money spent on surgery, testing, and drugs to results in TWO babies!


There are three ways I can think of to handle this type of situation. The first is to nod in agreement and smile politely. I'm definitely guilty of this. Sometimes the words just don't come. Sometimes I don't even realize what I'm nodding along to until it's too late. It leaves the commenter with the impression that I agree with him and his stupid comment. The second is to be defensive and overly corrective-making the commenter keenly aware of his error and his offensive nature. This approach contains a lot of truth, with very little love.


And we are most definitely called to both. Speak the truth-but always, always do so with love. That's the third approach. And it's hard.


Someone reading this may think I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Maybe people think that it is, after all, "just a comment" and that I'm reading too much into it. But my heart and my gut tell me that it's not. It's an attack on marriage. It's an attack on the gift of life. And these kinds of comments are attacking the Christian family on a daily basis.


Everything we do and say, whether directly or indirectly, builds the family up or tears the family down. I want to build.


A month or so ago I used the Saint Generator at Conversation Diary to pick me a Saint for 2011. I got St. John of Kanty. I had never heard of him and, although his story is remarkable, it didn't leave me with a strong connection or an understanding as to why he would have been "chosen" for me. Until the end of the article when I read this quote:


"Fight all error, but do it with good humor, patience, kindness, and love. Harshness will damage your own soul and spoil the best cause."


Oh he's talking straight to me! How many times I try to correct people, to tell them the Truth and spread the message of Christ. And so many times I do so without one ounce of good humor, patience, kindness, or love. So that's my task for this year. Speak the truth and do so with love. It's gonna take a lot of prayer to the Holy Spirit, but so far He's come through alright.


Our response to those comments?
Doctor: So, Ted, have you pretty much been a 'yes man' throughout the pregnancy?
Ted: She's been great. I'm really lucky to have her.
Me: It's been a team effort.


Doctor: Now you'll just be hoping your body can figure out how NOT to get pregnant!
Me: Oh no, we hope so much to be able to have more children. We're so grateful for this baby.


Both were said with a smile on my face and sincere love in my heart. Thanks Holy Spirit.

30 comments:

  1. So more like MARY! What humility! What a heart "filled with grace!" It has been such an honor to get to know you through this journey. You inspire me to do so much better in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remarkable responses from a heart of love! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful responses! In his defense though, with the second comment he might have meant that your body will go into labor smoothly on its own since I'm guessing it is apparent from reading your chart that you are hoping to avoid induction and extra interventions.

    Holding you and your family in prayer for these last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that quote by St. John Kanty...I am going to write that down and post it on my mirror to read every morning! I think you handled yourself (and Ted too) very well and probably gave the doctor something to think about!

    On a different topic, I am so excited to meet the newest little blogger baby! Come on little one - your blogger aunties are waiting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I need to remember this too when dealing with comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post! Those comments can be so disheartening. I get so frustrated with them but tend to fall into the "smile and nod your head" category. I don't like confrontation but I also feel guilty for just letting things go. I'm working on it. :)

    At my last appointment one of my doctors handed me a brochure on my birth control options for after Mary-Grace is born. I handed it back to him and just said "No thank you. We won't be needing this." He made a comment about not wanting to have children too close together. I told him we aren't concerned about that and mentioned that we use NFP. He had a very puzzled look on his face but at least he dropped it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have BTDT (several times) with the doc comments... With baby #2 I was accosted in the hospital after his birth by the female doc on call who spent 20 minutes trying to talk me into various contraceptive methods since my 2 were "so close together" ( 20 months)....

    I switched to home births after that ;-)

    Good quote, I tend to be too snarky with my comebacks...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you! There are so many situations where it's hard to know how to respond to those comments. Taking the comments, comment-makers, and yourself lightly seems the way to go...

    But my oh my it can be hard in the moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! R and I talked about those comments last week and how I'm just going to answer them with as much positivity as I can. I'm just dealing with the "Are you sure you're ready for THAT?" (while a rambunctious toddler is nearby) type of comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post!!! Oh, I am so happy that you responded as you did (how graceful!), and that saint quote... wow!! I am going to memorize it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! Responding to comments like this, and even evangelizing in general can sometimes feel like you're walking a tightrope. It's so easy to fall to one side or the other. Great responses! And a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great responses! I love your comments. It's crazy the perspective that some OB's have.

    Have the time I find myself just bobbing my head up and down to peoples comments and then I think, what am I doing????

    Anyways, I can't believe your that far along already!!!! AMAZING how time goes by so quickly!
    Prayers,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh golly, I could totally feel your pain while reading this! I hate those degrading comments about marriage. So does my husband. And I hate the b/c comments even more! Way to speak in truth and love! I'm not always so good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your responses to the goofy MD- I love the way you protect Our Sacrament!!!! thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post! I don't think you were reading into the comment at all. :( You are right, it is a sad commentary on our society's views on marriage.

    Your responses were wonderful!

    SO excited for you as the big day gets closer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you wrote about this because I've thought about the same topic several times since last week.

    I am a 'smile and nodder' and I often find myself nodding to things that I completely disagree with because it is easy way out of a conversation that I don't care to be a part of.

    You gave me something to think about :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ann-I HATE those type of comments!!

    And St. Rita-I love that you called marriage "Our Sacrament". What a beautiful way to say it. I'm gonna steal that :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah, in defense of the second comment, I think he was hinting at labor and delivery.
    ("Not" being pregnant.)

    But the rest - ah, we all deal with them. You handled them well!
    :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  19. you handled that beautifully! Go Holy Spirit! and Go you guys for being open to the Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joy and Cathy-you are giving this guy waaaaay too much credit! It was most definitely in reference to not making a little sibling "too soon".

    You're a lot nicer than I am to at least try to give him the benefit of the doubt though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The struggle never ends for those of us who so strongly value life!
    Oh and marriage, too! I can't believe how people talk about marriage and children.
    You two are so wonderful, I got tears in my eyes when I read your responses! YES!!! So glad you are out there setting this example! We need many more couples just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you to stand up for marriage and families. I have definitely been guilty of the nod/smile and the rude reply. It is so hard to find that middle ground, but I think you did it with a little help from your saint. p.s. my contractions were not ever 8 min apart, but then they went from 7 (at hospital) to 4-5 and back to 7. I had the baby when the 7 apart-not exactly what you read about, so just keep in mind that it isn't always logical :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also need to point out that this post is a good example of why the Midwifery Model of Care is important.....a midwife would know that you want more children and that you and Ted are a team effort.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How tactless and unkind.
    When I was in my early twenties, I had cervical cancer. Doctor number one advised waiting a while before doing anything. Doctor number two advised a hysterectomy. As it happens, my uterus had multiple patches of precancerous lesions, so I'm glad I took the second doctor's advice.

    When doctor number one saw me in the hospital where I worked after following through with the advice to have surgery, he announced in a clear voice in a public setting, "You know that your marriage won't last now that you've had a hysterectomy."

    We've now been married 38 years, and I've managed to resist the temptation to send him an anniversary card each year to let him know (a) I'm alive and (b) he was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kaitlin! I'm getting so excited for you! Feel anything yet????? 14 more days...ahhhhhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks! Such a great, simple, authentic response! I, too, am a head-bobber. And I can't count the amount of nights I have laid awake, sad that I didn't say Truth with Love.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I got goosebumps reading your responses! What an awesome example of truth in love, with grace and humility to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tone of voice is everything. And even if I didn't pick it up in these [at least] disappointing auto-pilot lines the Dr. relayed, you hit the nail on the head here:

    "Everything we do and say, whether directly or indirectly, builds the family up or tears the family down. I want to build."

    ... and had me saying, "Yes. Yes!"

    What a great post, Katie! We must stay alert and always respond, always, in love.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi I got St John of Kanty too.. and I was thinking umm nah at first but he is so totally on point! And congrats on your bairn! cant wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!