What was that? That faint ache in my left side...... the kind of ache that only an NFPer would even notice. Oh my. Here we go!
I can't even count how many times I've been asked, "When do you think you think you'll have another?" since Hannah's been born. My answer is usually the same. "Well I haven't even had my cycles back since Hannah nurses so much, so we haven't even really thought about it. But we're obviously open to whatever God is calling us to."
But that little ache, that old familiar ache. Is Aunt Flo just around the corner? Am I ready for this?
Pregnancy and the year following it have been blissfully void of the worries of infertility. No need to worry when you're pregnant, obviously. And no need to worry when you can't get pregnant because your sweet, wonderful, beautiful little girl still doesn't sleep through the night and is only lulled back to sleep by your mammary glands.
The past two years have been wonderful.
But if by chance they are coming to an end...I have mental and spiritual preparation to do.
I totally get those people who say they are content with only one child. Hannah is perfect. Amazing. We stand in awe and disbelief every single day over the blessing she is to our lives. There are times I think, "I don't even need any more children-she's more than I ever imagined she could be." And there are just as many times I think, "Lord please let me do it all over again!" Times I feel a little rumble in my lower abdomen and am taken back to that magical place of time standing still while you sit and just hold your hand to your belly...until I realize it's just gas. Times I read a birth story and beg God to let me experience the birth of another baby. Times I get teary-eyed at the thought of Hannah never having a sibling.
It's no secret-I want another baby. I want lots of them.
Now?
Maybe.
For once in my life-I'm really, really happy that God is in control of my fertility.
What a huge decision-when to bring another immortal soul into being and alter your family for eternity. I simply do not want that kind of responsibility. Who would? All those things that so many people take into account when making this decision.
Do we have enough money? Not even close according to the world's standards!
Would our children be too far apart/too close in age? Who knows! There are studies and then more studies that contradict what the first studies said. And who cares really?
Can we handle another baby? Um, that whole "If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it." Yeah-I totally believe that.
Do we have enough space? No. But what a dumb reason to not have another child!
And so on and so on.
And while it's certainly not wrong to ponder those types of questions, what kind of answer would push me to the point of trying to avoid having another baby right now? None.
So I'm taking the easy way out. I'm leaving it up to God!
(At least for now. Don't be surprised when, in just a few short months, I'm blogging about being scared to death of taking care of two children or yelling at God for sending us into the throws of infertility again. It's my blog-I'll be wishy washy if I want to.)
I need to borrow that line...it's my blog I can be ______ if I want to.
ReplyDeleteI love hearing your thoughts!
All we can do is trust, be that with infertility or fertility.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely at the same point too with regarding to fertility. I also haven't had my cycles return yet due the need to use my mammary glands to get my little girl to sleep during the night.
ReplyDeleteWe had a little different experience, since nursing was so horrible for us. I got my period back at about 11 weeks post-partum, so we were avoiding until Maggie was about 10 months old, then had two "open" cycles, then I had a bunch of problems with my teeth, so we're avoiding again until we get it straightened out. I am so anxious to be "open" again since I have NO IDEA what my body is going to do!
ReplyDeleteAvoiding is stinky, but at least when you're pregnant or post-partum avoiding, you don't have to be on the fertility roller-coaster.
So I'm right there with you on wondering what's going to come next!
LOVE this post!
ReplyDeleteyes, you can be wishy washy if you want to!
Some days I think, "why did I think I could handle kids 15 months apart?" but most days I think "how did I get so blessed with two amazing siblings that are 15 months apart and are so in love with each other?"
Trust God!
I read this post last night, but didn't have time to comment. I came back because your post was on my mind all evening. I've done this baby thing 5 times now and how you are feeling now is exactly how I'm feeling...still. That's one of the wonderful things about keeping God in the equation, the pressure is off! It is never really up to us anyway. :)
ReplyDeletePeace as you discern and God bless.
Love this :)
ReplyDeletePS I just tried sending you an email reply to your comment you left on my blog, and it won't go through. :(
ReplyDeleteGreat post! You put into words what many of us...even those without infertility...struggle with. And maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but I even got a little teary-eyed.
ReplyDeleteI felt like this for a second!! Until I became completely caught up in having secondary infertility and worried I'd never conceive again... ugh! Keep that attitude you have right now! God is in control! If only I could convince myself of that ;) Although you'll probably be pregnant again before you know it :)
ReplyDeleteLove it! Several times I thought I was going to start and then didn't, but it sounds like you are more in tune than me. i am on cycle 3 since AJ and he is almost 15 mos. I love your attitude about ttc #2, not at all what the world would say.
ReplyDeleteIt is thrilling and a bit scary all at once. It is a whole new world, really.
ReplyDeleteLoving your posts lately! Hope to see more pics of FL life.
Gratefully, with NFP, my heart is always ready and willing no matter the timing. But I understand this post, I get it. That feeling of "man, I like it just like this!"--I had that yesterday for a moment. I think it's just hard for my mind to wrap itself around what my heart is capable of!
ReplyDeletelove your blog, and have so many of the same emotions with a 10 mo old at home
ReplyDeleteI've commented before and hate that my comments keep disappearing and don't know what I am doing wrong. Hope this one goes through, I hate thinking I'm a lurker!
I totally get this! And I'm so happy you are happy where you are now. I always struggle with that!
ReplyDeleteI remember being super ticked off when my cycles returned 7ish weeks after Mary-Grace was born. I loved not worrying about cycles and pain and figured since I was nursing around the clock AF would be a no show for awhile...not so much. But now looking back it is so wonderful to see how God had a plan for her early return.
Thank you for passing along that nun's comment about purgatory. It does make me feel better, and thanks for your prayers. Know you're always in mine. <3
ReplyDeleteWhat was the purgatory comment?
ReplyDeleteAnonymous-Veronica is a friend in real life and was thanking me for something I said on her blog.
ReplyDelete