Friday, February 1, 2013

Quick Takes


-1-
Ted and I were asked to be on a panel discussion yesterday for Catholic Schools Week. The topic was vocations and it was in front of 160 middle schoolers. We were joined by a priest, married deacon, and a sister. Ted thought we were one of several couples asked to represent the vocation of marriage and had no idea that we were it until about five minutes before it started. Despite our being way underprepared-I think we did a pretty decent job.

-2-
One of the questions asked was, "What surprised you most about your vocation?" I gave some flaky response about how a husband is really different from having a college girlfriend as your roommate. Ted gave a beautiful monologue about how surprised he was to learn that he only loves me more and more as the years have gone by. How he thought he loved me on our wedding day but that his love grows deeper and deeper every year. And how that taught him about God's love for us-He loves us so much that we can't understand how strong it really is. When we think we know it-it just gets deeper and deeper.

You could see every girl in the room swoon. My face was probably bright red and I was trying to tone down the smile on my face.

Seriously-I married the most wonderful man in the world.

-3-
After the panel we went into a few elementary school classrooms to talk about marriage.....yes to 1st and 4th graders. The teachers were supposed to have an activity planned for us but not a single one actually did that. Good thing Ted's married to an extrovert who is particularly skilled at talking-I just winged it and it went fine. We talked to them about the three vocations in the Church and got them to ask us questions about what it's like to be married. Some of them were really good. "Who takes care of the baby the most?" "Do you fight about money?" "Do you spend all your time together or are you apart?" "What in the world is a fisheries biolgoist?" And others were.....just amazing. "Um.....I was wondering......do you.....when.....what about.....what color is your daughter's hair?"

Obviously the message really sunk in.

-4-
Hannah had a big day yesterday. I needed to find a substitute sitter while I did therapy in the morning so she went to a friend's house she had never even been to before. Then, during our vocation talk, another friend came over to watch her whom she had never even met. She is AWESOME with both of them. No tears. Waved bye-bye with a smile. Even went down for a nap with no drama. She's getting so big and confident. My anxiety about leaving her during labor and delivery is definitely getting better.

-5-
I've been eating 3-4 bowls of cereal a day in the last week. And not even the pretend-healthy kind. Apple Jacks and Lucky Charms. I never buy cereal. Empty calories. No protein. Too much sugar.

Blah blah blah-I'm 9 months pregnant and want some cereal. I'm still eating eggs for breakfast. And eating the cereal with fatty raw milk. So that counts for something right?

I think I'll go have another bowl before finishing these quick takes....

-6-
Speaking of food, you have to watch this. I've seen it on facebook for a week or so but didn't click it until today. Oh my. So so funny. Anyone who has had to go gluten or dairy free will most definitely laugh at this.


-7-
Unfortunately, the video reminds me that my days of eating whatever I want might be numbered. I know I'll be able to go gluten and dairy free again if the baby needs me to-I did it for over a year while nursing Hannah. And I survived.

But it sucked. And darnit I really hope I don't have to do it again. 37 weeks this weekend....we shall see soon!

9 comments:

  1. That's a cute story about the kid asking about your daughter's hair coloring. Kids just raise their hands without actually having anything to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I'm sure the kids loved you! I forgot it was Catholic Schools week. It's awesome that they had you come in and talk to the kids like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, I'm sure you both were amazing speakers and I'm glad Hannah did well with the different sitters.
    Will pray that your next one is a happy nursling no matter what you eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time!!!

    I had to go dairy free, sugar free (even fruit, honey and such) and grain free a few years ago for over 6 months. I probably would not have laughed so hard at the time, but that video is so funny now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 8 months pregnant and cereal has been my go to food for snacking. We only had it in the house for Christmas treats and never buy it normally. I just finished the box of corn flakes, (at 5 in the morning) and am thinking of picking up more later today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SOOOOOOOO hope you don't have to go through that again!!! Come on baby!!! Haha for cereal! Live it up, girl!!! And y'all are the cutest couple ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys did do great and every girl did swoon. The girls sitting next to me brought it up at the end saying, "how sweet!" You didn't look red from where I was sitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that video. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm 22 weeks and I've been enjoying cereal too. My favorite is puffed rice with raw milk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!