It's Sunday evening and you know I'm in the mood to write a What I Wore Sunday post. They're probably my favorite. But alas, no picture. I write the WIWS post in my head every Sunday (stop laughing) but rarely get around to actually taking a picture so I can, you know, write the post. We go to 8:30 Mass. And it's 20 minutes away. And we don't wake up early before the kids to get ready. (We also don't shower....) So a before Mass picture is out of the question. And despite all my good intentions, I just cannot stay in my Mass attire for more than 15 seconds when we get home. There's the nursing of the baby and the doing of the dishes that were leftover from breakfast and the hungry toddler and the naptime routine and, well I just don't want to be dressed up for any of it. It's hot. Almost 100 this week. So I strip down to shorts and a t-shirt almost immediately and get to work on all that crap that didn't get the memo that Sunday is supposed to be relaxing.
It's really too bad. I wore my favorite favorite favorite skirt today. And up around my waist with my shirt tucked in for the first time. I felt like I was falling in love with it all over again. And Hannah was the picture of Southern perfection in her hand-me-down smocked dress and giant pink bow. Ted and Paul coincidentally wore matching white polos with gray pants and I soooo wanted to get a picture before he spit up all over himself. But it didn't happen. Just imagine us all looking really awesome. Cause we did.
So no linking up with FLAP today. But, if I mention the kids' behavior in Mass I can still qualify for this link-up. So on to bragging about the two best kids in Mass today. Not sure why. I don't ask questions. But Hannah was wonderful. She tried to sing along with the Gloria, only tried to grab Paul's paci a handful a times, was thankfully unsuccessful in unclipping the back of the carrier Paul was happily sleeping in, and entertained herself for almost the entire Mass by counting to "nen" (skipping five of course). Paul slept on me in the Beco carrier and woke up at the end of Mass just in time for everyone to tell me how cute he is.
Both kids get A's. Link-up rules met.
Grace even mentioned me in her inaugural post, so I can't not participate. And I admit that when I read my name and realized it was me she was referring to I told Ted, "I have arrived". The sleeveless clothes in Mass discussion has been great. So great that maybe I'll even find the energy to actually reply at some point. In short, my takeaways are this: For the most part, sleeveless in Mass isn't appropriate. There are times when this rule doesn't apply (like when you have a baby strapped on your shoulders anyway). And that it's not a hard, fast rule. Some dresses are definitely modest even if they have no sleeves.
Is it possible that my black and white sense of morality is becoming a shade of gray? Could it possibly be?? On the bigs things, no. Never. Abortion=always wrong. Euthanasia=unacceptable. Wearing sleeveless shirts in Mass=eh, I dunno. Probably not but maybe sometimes?
If you know me at all, you know how hard it is to admit that.
Next up on the ramble train,
We had a great homily from our priest. At least the 60% or so that I heard was good. He quoted St. Justin Martyr (whose feast was yesterday!) who spoke about the Eucharist in the 2nd century (because today is the Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ!)
This food we call the Eucharist, of which no one is allowed to partake except one who believes that the things we teach are true, and has received the washing for forgiveness of sins and for rebirth, and who lives as Christ handed down to us. For we do not receive these things as common bread or common drink; but as Jesus Christ our Savior being incarnate by God's Word took flesh and blood for our salvation, so also we have been taught that the food consecrated by the Word of prayer which comes from him, from which our flesh and blood are nourished by transformation, is the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus.
I had a thought while listening to the quote. Our Church is so rich and blessed by the writings of the early Saints and Doctors of the Church, that if all priests immediately stopped writing original homilies and all theologians suddenly ceased their studies and Catholic speakers stopped speaking and Catholic writers stopped writing, we would still have enough amazing reflections and teachings on our Faith to last us until the end of time. Priests could simply read from the great Saints that have gone before us, especially from the ones who lived in the early days of Christianity, and we would probably never hear a repeated homily. And although I am grateful for the many Christian books and talks that come out all the time, nothing beats going back to the beginning. Nothing beats finding out what the original Christians said about Jesus. Pastor so and so can say all he wants about the Eucharist. What does St. Paul say? What does Justin Martyr say? That's what really matters. It made me once again feel blessed to belong to a Faith whose roots are so deep and members are so wise.
Annnnd because as soon as I finish this post I have to get up and do dishes, I better add a few more unrelated bits of information.
We had a joint birthday party for Ted and our friend Summer today. I'd show you a picture, but oh my I cannot figure out this Mac. It has no Right-Click! How can you save pictures off facebook or correct a misspelled word with no Right-Click?! Do you know how many times I had to re-tyrp the word inaugural because I had no idea how to click on the little red line below my failed attempts? (silver lining: I can now spell inaugural)
A few of Paul's NINE MONTH clothes are too tight. And he rolled over from his stomach to his back. Before his third month birthday. Who does this kid think he is? (imagine cute picture here)
Go read these.
And check out the amazing hair on my friend's new baby.
And pray for this mama and baby.
And have you seen this? So funny. (But say a prayer for that family while you're at it.)
Ok, I'm stalling. Dishes.
[Update. Two fingers on the keypad+clicking the button=Right-Click. I'm a genius for figuring that one out by myself. Pictures successfully saved off facebook.]


Oh man I so want pictures!!! But I'm with you on the early Mass - I didn't take a picture until like, 5 hours after we got home... And I only stayed in my outfit because it basically feels like a muumuu!
ReplyDeleteAnd I definitely think there are modest ways to wear sleeveless, I just can't wear any of them because all those adorable sleeveless dresses with high necks allow approximately zero nursing access, and there is NEVER a Mass when at least one of the babies doesn't need to nurse!
I am new here, but I can totally relate to wanted to linkup with sunday wear and forgetting to take a picture in order to do that :).
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way being blessed by our Church and its deep deep roots!
Welcome!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou are speaking my language; really enjoy WIWS but rarely participate for lack of a picture. Also agree that as a Church we have so many wonderful thinkers and writers to draw from.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that we have the best thinkers, philosophers, and theologians! It's really comforting to know that our Church has that body of writings to draw on.
ReplyDeletep.s. my goodness, Paul is so cute and squishy. And nine month clothes?! What a lug.
Who is Grace? I'm so confused.
ReplyDeleteGrace of Camp Patton :) Follow the links for all the answers to your confusion ;)
DeleteJust want to remind you that you are one of my fave bloggers
ReplyDelete