Friday, May 31, 2013

Quick Takes

-1-
Lest I ever think that blogging is a waist of time, let me be reminded that I won 100 bucks from a giveaway on Grace's blog! AND I was so affirmed in my choice of shirt-tucked-into-skirt look that I am rocking the shirt-tucked-into-shorts-WITH-belt look today. I got two compliments! All thanks to blogging. I think I'll use at least part of the 100 on some new clothes instead my typical approach to acquiring unsuspected extra money. Which is just depositing it into our account and forgetting about it and then complaining when I have nothing to wear.

-2-
We had our friend, Joe, stay with us for the week and it was so great having him. He's a seminarian for Southern Missouri and only has one year left before he's ordained a deacon (and then a priest a year later). Anyone who thinks that the Catholic Church is old and outdated has never met any of the amazing seminarians we've been blessed to know. On fire for his Faith, passionate about his vocation, and introducer of amazing youtube videos. Our Church has amazing priests in store.

-3-
I've found a way to enjoy my coffee sans cream! I've heard and read about people blending coconut oil and butter in their coffee but, until now, I thought it was absolutely nuts. Now I LOVE coconut oil. More than any other substance in my house. I can't even remember my life without it and use about a jar a week! Thankfully, we buy it in bulk and it lasts more than a year. I could never afford my coconut oil habit any other way.

But back to coffee. When I read people raving about coconut oil and coffee, I was skeptical. I can't do the butter (because it's dairy) so I tried just coconut oil and sugar. Blended-that part's important. Wow. It is actually good. And I don't even like the taste of black coffee. It it merely a holding substance to get the cream and sugar into my body. And coconut oil has no taste..... So how does something that has no taste and something that tastes disgusting combine to create something that tastes delicious?

Don't know. Don't care. Just grateful to have yummy coffee!

-4-
I'm losing steam.

-5-
I'm feeling like this take would be a good spot for a picture. Too bad we haven't solved our computer problems yet. I'm typing this from a friend's Mac and figuring out how to upload pictures to it isn't something I want to mess with right now. I feel pretty cool blogging on a Mac. And I'm kind of hoping that our laptop can't be fixed so I have an excuse to get a new laptop that is much, much smaller than our current one. Who knew that a laptop can actually, you know, fit in your lap. So convenient.

Imagine a really cute picture of Paul laying on his belly holding his head up. Or you could imagine 24 of them, because that's how many I took.

-6-

We're headed to a pick-your-own blueberry farm tomorrow morning! Pray we don't melt in the sun before we fill our buckets.

-7-
I really should make a blueberry pie or something with our haul of deliciousness tomorrow. But I know I wont. Fresh blueberries are just too good to do anything but eat them straight out of the bowl. I can buy a can and make a pie. But fresh, fresh are just perfect the way they are.

My mouth is watering. Maybe I'll post some blueberry picking pictures if I get in the mood to figure this Mac out.

Linking with Jen, as usual!


9 comments:

  1. Amen to fresh blueberries! There's no better way to eat fresh ripe fruit than all by itself! Living in MN we have quite a wait on our hands before we have any pick-able fruit. Have fun!

    Great tip on the coconut oil in coffee. We also buy it in bulk (I use about 1.5 cups a week to make granola) but having a 40# tub around I feel like I should find more things to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about blueberry ice cream? Or maybe just blueberries and cream...*sigh* I'm jealous of your blueberries.

    Macs are the best. I'll never go back.

    I am always fascinated by how different people view coffee. I love the taste of coffee. It's my favourite beverage in the world. I would drink it all day if I could. I like it with just a splash of whole milk or cream to make it richer, but black is great too. Sugar-ugh, never.

    I always take a million pictures of my babies, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pie with canned blueberries is just not the same as pie made with fresh. If you try one with fresh, you will not regret it. Neither will Ted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, the pie is cooling as I type! Can't wait to try it!

      Delete
  4. Cco in coffee is delicious! I live it with the cco taste too! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two things: You know I don't like coffee, but I got Adam some Mystic Monk coffee for his birthday (expensive so it was a treat) and it's so good, I like it. I could probably drink it black.

    Also, how much is it to go pick your own blueberries? I've always wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to hate coffee. Then I started to like mochas. Then I started to like brewed coffee with 50% cream and sugar. Then I started to like brewed coffee with a splash if cream and a pinch of sugar. Now I can drink it black and still enjoy it! But, it really is ALL about the caffeine for me!
    Need pics of Paul and Hannah! Oh, and picking blueberries...Hannah's face all stained blue! You better post some of those!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waaaait. What? Coconut oil in coffee? I've never heard of this! (I've got to get better at keeping up...) I know it's popular right now, but I don't know much about it. I did hear the other day that is the only saturated fat that isn't animal fat. But I don't know the relevance of that. ;) I've used coconut oil as a lotion, but not in my cooking yet. Do you just put a glob of it in your coffee? Is it good to eat that much of it? (Totally asking here, not challenging) Tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren, it is really high in saturated fat but everything I've read says it's good for you and not to be feared! I put about 2-3 tbs in my 12oz coffee. It's liquid right now since it's so hot here, but if it was hard I would just pop the whole jar in the microwave for a few seconds and then spoon it out. But you HAVE to blend it! Otherwise it would be an oily mess. I use an immersion blender, but you could a magic bullet type of blender too,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!