Sunday, February 7, 2010

Let Down the Nets

The Gospel reading for Mass this Sunday was from the 5th Chapter of Luke, the story of Simon Peter becoming an apostle. Quick summary: Jesus asks Simon to take him on his boat and drop the fishing nets off the side. Simon, who had been fishing all night with no luck, says to Jesus "Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but I will do as you say and let down the nets." Lo and behold-tons of fish!

Ted and I read this last night before going to bed. After he read it, I thought to myself "that's a nice passage," but Ted saw a deeper meaning (as he usually does-and not just when they're about fish) and related the story to our situation. Praise God for such a holy husband! Sometimes we feel like Simon Peter, fed up with Jesus' requests that we keep trying, keep going forward. Sometimes we just want to yell, "Master, we worked hard ALL YEAR and have NOTHING to show for it!" But Jesus replies, "Just go visit with this doctor.Trust me-have the surgery. Try this new medicine. I'll take care of the bills-don't worry." To which we respond, with the help of Our Mother, "We will do as YOU say and let down the nets."

Lord, I don't understand why you're making us wait. And I don't like not knowing what the future holds. I'm scared and a little angry and very confused. But I will let down my net. I will trust you to fill it. And I realize that you might not fill it with the things that I desire, but you will fill it with the things that I need. Master, give me the strength of Simon Peter. Give me the courage to trust you with all my heart. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this, it's exactly what I needed to read. My husband and I too are waiting (and waiting) to be blessed with a baby. It can be so hard, I know, but you have such an awesome faith that I greatly admire.
    p.s. my aunt is JoAnn Heath :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reflection on today's gospel! Praying for you always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. where's the next blog? we need more blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful prayer, thanks for sharing it. I'm going to copy it down if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!