Friday, January 7, 2011

Quick Takes (17)


-1-
We have new neighbors two doors down. I came home today to cigarette butts on our welcome matt. If this keeps up, they will be getting a friendly visit from a very tired pregnant lady.

-2-
First week back to work after the Christmas break! It went smoothly, but I'm definitely moving pretty slow. It's good to come back to a job you really like.

-3-
We will have a doctor's appointment every Wednesday from now until the baby is born. And I'll be "full term" (37 weeks) in just five days. And both of those just blow my mind.

-4-
Here's a picture of the "bump". 


-5-
With the exception of a spare house key, we are completely packed for the birth! Thanks to the anal obsessive compulsive smart preparations of Thankful-we have an Excel spreadsheet of everything we need divided into nice categories. With little stars by things we need to grab on our way out the door. Overboard perhaps? My mom shared a good quote with me today: "Over-prepare then go with the flow." I obviously don't think being over-prepared is a bad thing! Just praying I can "go with the flow". I'm not really the "flow" type.

And while I'm on the subject-what was one (or two or three...) things that you were glad you brought to the hospital? Or wish you had?  I've got quite a list, but I'm sure it's not exhaustive.

-6-
I need to do an entire post on the hilarious things my preschoolers are saying about my belly. For now, I'll just share my favorite one from this week:

Four year old girl (staring at my belly): You got a baby in there?
Me: I sure do. And he's gonna come out pretty soon!
Girl: You better get some Pampers-he gonna pee all over himself!

-7-
Ted and I got the best baby gift of them all tonight! His dad made us a handmade baby cradle and it's absolutely perfect. Unfortunately, his dad wasn't able to make it down for Christmas to bring it to us. I was worried we wouldn't have a way to get it down from Missouri before the baby came. Some amazing logistics proved otherwise. Ted's dad drove it to my sister in St. Louis, who took it down to my parents, who kept it for a week until Ted's major professor happened to be driving through from Iowa. Ted drove out to his house and picked it up tonight and it is now sitting right next to our bed!

It's so beautiful. I've been giddy all night just thinking about my baby getting to sleep in it.




Have a great weekend!

26 comments:

  1. That baby crib is AWESOME!!!! Thank you grandpa! Full term, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That crib is LOVELY!!!!

    The only thing I needed or wanted at the hospital was my make up and phonecharger. It's the only thing I had too. ;)

    Carseat and blankets and coming home outfit and we were good to go....I think less is more. :) hahahaha But then I did not have time to prepare at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaitlyn!

    Honestly? I was so happy to have remembered my own comfy things from home...clothing wise. ALSO, don't forget a good nursing bra...and Lanolin ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I spelled your name wrong! That's what I get for typing on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Socks. My feet were cold and all I had were those hospital socks which did not stay on very well! LOL! I did not bring much at all to the hospital...at the same time, I didn't need that much. Make sure you have some sort of cute outfit for baby to wear if you want to order the picture the hospital photographer will take. I had no idea they would take a picture, but felt like I HAD to buy the picture b/c hello, it was my first baby and her first real picture ;) So just in case...

    Also, LOVE the crib! It is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. here's a comment!!! you look gorgeous and I LOVEEEE the cradle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. FULL TERM???? GET OUT!

    You're beautiful!!!

    I love a good spread-sheet!!!

    HA HA HA! Better get those pampers!

    LOVE the logistics of how the cradle came to you and love love love love love the cradle!!!! It is so beautiful!!!!!

    Oh my gosh! Your baby is going to be in that cradle soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful crib! And congrats on being full term so soon!

    I think the best things I had in the hospital were: my husband, warm socks, and a crucifix. Also, the ice chips (but the hospital provides those!).

    I brought some pj's, and by the second day, I was ready to be out of that horrible hospital gown. It felt so good to put a real shirt and pants on.

    I'm sure you have everything you need and more (I was way over packed!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cradle is beautiful and so is your bump! After that first post-labor shower I loved putting on my own clothes. I would also recommend something to keep your baby, nursing involves looking straight down and not really having a hand free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Keep your hair out of your eyes'
    Sorry poor editing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the cradle!!!
    As for the hospital bag, I always bring a cute breastfeeding friendly pajama nightgown set with a matching robe and slippers. Motherhood Maternity sells them, and I think it's the best investment ever! :) It made me feel as cute as possible for just having a baby, and having your own slippers beats the hospital tread socks any day!
    I always bring my nightgown set for at least the first 24 hours when they need to check you down there. After that pajama pants work great. :)
    Also, bring your boppy, and if you don't have a boppy, GO GET ONE! :) haha I was so glad we brought ours both times. Newborns are just so floppy and having that pillow made nursing so much easier.
    An extra boppy cover would also be a good idea just in case poop or an excessive amount of spit up gets on it. :)
    A nursing cover is also helpful if you are planning on having visitors in the hospital. That way you can nurse the baby and still visit. :)
    If I think of anything else, I will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job Grandpa, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful cradle!

    tee hee hee - glad my ocd is spreading its usefulness around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The crib is STUNNING!!!!!! Seriously??? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've said it before, but you are seriously cute.

    The cradle is beautiful, and ready for a baby to sleep in it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am jealous of that cradle! So beautiful!

    I loved having my slippers and clothes. I had debated bringing the clothes and was so glad I did because the nurses just assumed I had them and told me to put them on. So much better than the gown!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your bump! Beautiful cradle!

    Soothies (nursing pads) were a lifesaver for helping with sore nipples. You wear them only for 72 hours (pretty much your hospital stay) and can use lanolin with them. Then I switch over to Lily Padz for the remainder of nursing, which are expensive but I LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 4. Very cute!

    5. I definitely overpacked. I can't think of anything, in fact, that I was really glad we had.
    Oh, and you might not need to actually bring your own, but an exercise ball was SO helpful for me at the end of labor! Our hospital provided one.

    6. Cute!

    7. AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the cradle and you look great! I'll definitely have to email Thankful and get her list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My very long list of prayer intentions is the best thing I bring to the hospital! Other than that, clothes for you and the Baby to wear home.

    I threw a few things together when I went into labor this time. The hospital provides almost everything.

    Good luck! I'm so excited for you! I absolutely love labor and delivery (I know, I'm weird) I would Totally do it again right now! It'll be one of the best days of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Robe, slippers, breastfeeding tanks or bras, LANOLIN! Also dont forget the baby book so that your guests that come to the hospital can sign the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The crib is amazing, and you look fantastic! But I know how you feel, so I fear for you neighbors, lol! Love the things kids say, but love your mom's quote even more-I try hard to live by that one daily!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you comments!
Feel free to accompany them with prayers!