Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Me and Paul
Me and the Paul Man go way back. It's been almost a year since he implanted himself in my womb and make himself comfortable. Eight days past his due date and nine and a half pounds later, we finally met. And I would love to say we had an instant connection and it was love at first sight, but it just...... wasn't. And I've been feeling really guilty about that.
I'll be completely honest and say I was really hoping for a girl (If you ever read this Paul, don't be too offended. I really hoped Hannah was a boy.) It wasn't so much that I yearned for another daughter, but that I desperately wanted a little sister for Hannah. I have two younger sisters, one just three years younger than me. And it's awesome. Sisters are awesome. I loved sharing a room until I left for college. I love doing our makeup together in the bathroom when I'm home for a visit. I love shopping together and doing all the other things sisters do. I don't have any brothers, so I don't what kind of great things can be done with brothers. So I wanted Hannah to have a sister, close in age, to be her sweet friend.
When I got over the initial shock of, "Oh my goodness I have a SON," I had to mourn. And I felt really awful about that. It wasn't until about a week after his birth that I realized I was mourning the loss of a sister, not mourning the fact that I have a son. And the two are very different.
But even as I got used to the idea of a little boy in our family, I had a hard time bonding with Paul. The reasons are many. His birth was quite traumatic. I wasn't filled with the euphoric joy that Hannah's natural birth came with. I was just exhausted and relieved and hungry. On top of that, he screamed for the first hour of his life and was calmed only by Ted. I didn't spend his first moments of life gazing into his eyes while he suckled at my breast. I spent it begging him to stop screaming and finally handing him off before I lost my mind.
I've always heard mothers make comments like, "I just can't remember a time when he wasn't in our family!" and, "He just fits in perfectly!". And I just couldn't relate to that at all. In those first few days and weeks all I could think was, "Of course I remember a time when he wasn't in our family! It was a much, much easier time!" We had lost our groove. The rhythmic flow of our day that I had grown so accustomed to. We had this entirely new person in our lives and he was throwing everything off. And I really had a hard time adjusting.
With Hannah, I was able to rest when she was resting and play with her when she was awake. But when Paul rested I was taking care of Hannah. And when he was awake I was just trying to keep Hannah from getting insanely jealous and angry. So I didn't get to take naps with him. Or spend an hour just staring at him. Or give him a relaxing bath and baby massage and play dress up with him. For those first few weeks, I basically just kept him alive and hoped he slept long enough for me to feed Hannah lunch.
And I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be for me to see how hard it was for Hannah. One night we moved the rocker out of her room and into ours so I could nurse Paul in it at night. At this point, she was still being read to and rocked in it every night before bed. What were we thinking? She set off looking for her rocker and when she found it my room she was ecstatic. But when she realized it was staying in there and she wouldn't be rocked in it, she was hysterical. After I put her to bed in tears, I came out of her room, buried my head in Ted's chest, and just sobbed.
It wasn't the way I had pictured it. I felt like I didn't love my son. I remember telling Ted, "I love him because he's my son, but I don't love him. I don't know him!" And I felt so, so guilty. I said, "He deserves a mother who loves him! He's so cute. Why don't I feel more connected to him?"
Well meaning friends said things like, "Isn't having a little boy the best? Don't you just love having a son?" and I lied through my teeth and said it was wonderful. But the whole time I was thinking, "I just want to send him back and go back to the way things used to be."
I cringe thinking about that now. Because at some point, I have no idea when, I fell in love with him. So deeply and completely in love with him. And it grew a little more each day and I know it will continue to do so until the day I die. He is perfect. He is beautiful. He is my son and I wouldn't trade him for any girl or any daily routine in the world.
I love the sound of his sweet voice and the way he contorts his little face when he's trying to talk to me. I love his smell. I love his fat rolls. I love his easy-going disposition. I love that he lets me know what he needs gently and patiently and looks so happy when he's satisfied. I love the way he looks when he sleeps and the dazed expression he gets when I wake him up. I love his "game face" when he's feeling feisty.
The other night, he started fussing from his cradle when I had exactly 30 seconds of my show left. Rather than letting him fuss until it was over (which I sometimes do) or complaining about having to go nurse him (which I also do...) I sprang up from my chair and practically skipped into my room to get him. The thought of holding his sweet little body in my arms and pressing him to my breast literally made me giddy. I felt like I was in junior high and I was running to the telephone to answer a call from my latest crush.
I am so in love with my son.
Certainly I'm not the only mother who has felt this way. (And if I am, just don't tell me.) Me and Paul may not have hit it off right away, but now I know him like only his mother can. And love him like only his mother can. And now I have an entirely new way to relate to our Blessed Mother. I'm a mother to a son too.
And it really is wonderful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
selfishly so grateful to read this post. #1 is biological. #2 & #3 adopted. I had many of these feelings and have struggled with the idea of bio vs adoption. My introduction to motherhood with my HR was a sacred time. She will always hold a special place in my heart as my first. You are not alone.
ReplyDeleteThank you SO much for your honesty! I'm sitting here just nodding my head as i read. Sometimes love doesn't come all at once but slowly you realize you've been swept off your feet. You are totally not alone.
ReplyDeleteI don't ever comment (sorry I'm a blog stalker!) but had to let you know how much I appreciated this post and love your blog!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSuch a handsome little man. And such a sweet post. I was just telling Chris last night that I am going to feel guilty if we have a girl because we refer to the baby as a boy constantly. Actually, I don't think I have said "she" at all. It's not that I care if I have a girl- I just want a baby!
ReplyDeleteNope, you are not alone! It took me months to bond with Hannah. MONTHS! And she was my natural home birth. I thought it would be easy with her. Wrong! I still feel guilty, but now she's my little buddy. I LOVE that kid!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for writing this, because it's seemed really obvious from your blog that things were just not right or you hadn't bonded with him, etc. So glad it's better now! Brothers are great and Hannah will never imagine or want anything different than Paul having come!
ReplyDeleteI had these feelings in a different way and for different reasons with my first two daughters. But, like you, I eventually found out how in love with them I was/am and can't imagine life any other way.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous-Can you pinpoint what I wrote exactly that made you think that? I'm so curious. I try not to complain and vent on here too often, but I also don't want to paint a picture of perfection that isn't reality. I hope I find that balance. I think I did a decent job if an anonymous reader picked up on it! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI have three sisters (and only sisters) so I can totally relate to wanting girls so that I can raise sisters. Totally. I only have my first right now, so we did get a lot of magical, uninterrupted moments early on, but it may be comforting to know that there was a delay in bonding for me too. Our delivery was exhausting like yours. He was swollen from the IV fluids when he was born, and didn't look as I expected him to. He was whisked away for hours for observation and I was relieved because I wanted sleep so badly, etc. I knew I would fall in love with him (and I did!), but at first that knowledge was purely intellectual! Also, another thing that helped earlier on, when we had our 20-week ultrasound and found out we were having a son - was imagining all the great boys and men I've known in a lifetime. Interestingly enough, I was reading about the need for more adoptive parents to be open to boys yesterday and realized that wow, girls do seem to be the almost unconscious "ideal" for a lot of parents (us moms in particular since well, we're girls, so it's just often easy to imagine raising one!) Even though I am totally in love with our son at this point, it was therapeutic still for me to read all the great things about adopting boys as a reminder that yes, being a momma to a son IS awesome. :) AND I totally relate to your feelings of being close to Mary... that is another thought that crosses my mind now a lot. All this rambling to say, thanks for this honest post. :) (And fwiw, I could not tell this was something you were working through in prior posts).
ReplyDeleteI've been a long time reader, but don't think I've ever commented. After 2 years of IF I got pregnant with my son. After a traumatic birth (for me), I had an extremely hard time bonding. I attribute most of it to the birth and my exhaustion because he isn't a sleeper. I so wanted to say when he was born it was the happiest moment of my life...but it just wasn't.
ReplyDeleteWe're boy heavy over here, and pregnant again. My sister is having a girl one month before me, I have had a little girly name picked out for awhile and there were some tiny garage sale dresses I couldn't resist. So 2 weeks ago when the ultrasound said 'boy' I admit to being disappointed. The kids were too, my only daughter keeps telling people, "my little sister is a boy." Settling on a boy name has helped. And discovering other friends/family are having boys. I'm sure buying some cute little man suits would also (but I'm trying to be good here.)
ReplyDeleteIt's so honest of you to admit to similar feelings. I have been feeling guilty for finding out the sex at the ultrasound, other times when we've waited I've never experienced feelings of disappointment. Other mothers have told me that if you can only just wait, you will NEVER be disappointed after the birth. It can cut both ways I guess.
Brutally honest and tenderly beautiful. Thanks for writing this.
ReplyDeleteI can so relate. I had my second in January and I had such a hard time adjusting, wishing I could go back to having one kid because I struggled so much with meeting both their needs. Thanks so much for your honesty!
ReplyDeleteLike Sarah said, when you have your first, you have time to have magical, uninterrupted moments. But with #2 it´s so difficult because you´re just so busy, no time for magic, you know. Thanks for this honest post. And also, when you said to Ted "...I don´t love him", it just felt that way because it had, up to that point, been so difficult to adjust to this new situation, plus when we picture how a situation is going to look and then it´s not exactly like that, we´re just setting ourselves up for disappointment. I am not sure if this is an actual quote from John Paul II, but I think it is so true and it applies here "Love is a decision". Everytime you took care of him, fed him, changed him, rocked him, etc. even if you didn´t feel like doing those things, you decided to do those things because you love him. Don´t feel guilty, you´re not alone, we know you love him so much and you always have.
ReplyDeleteKaitlin, your blog has blessed me and has inspired me for a long time! Any mom knows and can imagine the adjustments and struggles when going from one little one to two! I hate to answer your question because what do I know, a stranger reading your limited words on a screen? You didn't have much to describe about him other than how he screamed when he was born; the first nice thing I remember reading was a backhanded compliment when you realized one day when he was fussy because of a diet change you'd made how he usually otherwise really was a pretty good baby; you mentioned washing him roughly and hurting/startling him because you didn't know until Ted told you, but it almost seemed that you were just annoyed and didn't want or know how to deal with a boy; you understood with empathy but seemed in some ways almost to share Hannah's resentment against Paul because before he came your little girl was happier and easier; there wasn't much maternal love or compassion expressed when you mentioned anything about Paul, etc. I pray my comment was not offensive or hurtful. Your honesty and all of your writing is a help and treasure to many people! It is obvious in every way to any person reading your blog that you are a good, good mom who is informed and balanced and loving. Your family is beautiful and I praise the Lord with you!
ReplyDeleteSweet friend, so glad your relationship with Paul is blooming. I have the distinct feeling that it will be blessed all the more for the initial struggle.
ReplyDeleteThese comments are so helpful!
ReplyDeleteAnna, I have actually said that I might want to find out the gender next time to prevent this very thing from happening again. Ha! I guess you just can't win.
sayin i love you, that is so beautiful. That completely changes the way I think about those first few weeks. Thank you for sharing.
And Anonymous, not offended at all. Thank you for your perspective.
I love reading your blog. You really write so openly. It's comforting!!
ReplyDeleteI've been a reader of your blog for a while, but I have yet to comment. Thank you for your honest post. When we found out our second was a boy (after having a boy at home and losing a daughter earlier) on the ultrasound, I was devastated. It took me a few days and then I started buying matching clothes for the kids and that seemed to help a bunch. If I couldn't buy bows and dresses, my two boys would have the cutest matching outfits around! Now I look at my two guys together and feel so blessed and guilty for ever being sad Noah wasn't a girl! I can totally relate.
ReplyDeleteAnd the transition from one to two is traumatic. At least it was for me. I spent many days in a row just crying at the end of them when we first brought Noah home. I, like you, felt I had this great routine with Matthew and we enjoyed every day to the fullest. Noah messed it all up. The good news is, after a few months, we got into a new routine and I have to say at this point, we've all come to like it, too. :)
Thank you for your honesty in this post. You truly inspire others with your blog. God bless you and your beautiful family.
I am loving reading the comments here!
ReplyDelete1. Another perspective on ultrasounds: of course, I don't think there is any right answer here. We found it easier to know the sex prior to birth. I was afraid I would become attached to one sex, and be disappointed at birth (who knows if it would really have happened that way but it happened with a sibling's "girl turned boy", so I was scared!). That said, I hear of so many beautiful surprise births, that I am sure this is just one of those personal preference things.
2. As a mom of 1, it's so helpful to read perspectives on the adjustments to 2. (And hopefully, our kids will fall in love with their siblings and thank us one day even if the initial adjustments brings tears! At least that thought is what keeps me going.)
Katie, I'm so appreciative that you've been open about the adjustment to two and then this blossoming love with Paul. I love swapping stories with women--birth stories, disciplines stories, embarrassing stories--everything! Our experiences are so unique and sometimes surprising even to ourselves. I feel like my motto for this year (not that I chose, but has chosen me) is to live in the light of truth. We can't force our lives to look or be anything than we it truly is in that moment. And we get to wake up each day ready to be fully present in whatever it is that is at our hands and feet. You are doing that. God's grace shapes the rest.
ReplyDeleteVirtual hug!
Wow. Pregnancy brain... *discipline & *what it truly
ReplyDeleteI would say I'm surprised I was able to spell my name correctly, but the computer did that for me...
Yes. It took me about 3 months to feel like I was "in love" with Maggie. I loved her from the moment o birth, but it was the love born of knowing I had to keep her alive. There was little beyond resentment in it until she hit that age when she started smiling. Then I was able to engage with her in a way that made me have those lovely-lovey feelings.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your honesty in sharing.
Goodness, I had a hard time bonding with H....Like Sarah said I was in love as in keeping her alive, probably out of pure instincts. LOL. And I had that rushing feeling when she entered into the world. I felt it was hormones with H....They were all over the place. It took me months. But she wasn't a happy newborn at all....She was very hard.
ReplyDeleteB on the other hand--It was immediate. I just loved her right away and had an easy birth and didn't have that rushing when she entered into the world.
Now I love them both the same but differently! H personality is so incredibly fun and full of life. And b is such a sweet, gentle soul...
So blessed beyond my deserving. But I totally get it...
You're not the only one. For the reasons you mentioned, but also because we had so much family around during his first two weeks, and he spent his first week in the NICU, bonding was very hard for me. But it happened...and like you said, I love him. :)
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! And you know what, my baby boy definitely connected much more strongly with his daddy at first than he did with me. I love my sweet boy more than life itself now, but at first I had to make that daily choice to act out love...and now the rewards are unimaginable.
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! And you know what, my baby boy definitely connected much more strongly with his daddy at first than he did with me. I love my sweet boy more than life itself now, but at first I had to make that daily choice to act out love...and now the rewards are unimaginable.
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience with our son. I felt instantly bonded with Anna,our first. With Anthony, a lot of challenges that we had with his birthmom made it harder for me to become attached to him. I blamed her for his health issues and I had to overcome my struggles with her before I let myself bond with him. I loved him from the beginning and was so glad to have my son, but it was still a struggle at first. Now he's a total Mama's boy and I cannot and do not even want to imagine my life without him. He's a total joy.
ReplyDeleteAnd by the way, my Anna and your Hannah sound like total peas in a pod. They could cause quite a ruckus together I'm sure...
I'm not a mom, so I don't really know, but it seems to me that you clearly loved him all along, because if you hadn't, this wouldn't have bothered you. That being said, I'm glad the bonding and the feelings are now blossoming and growing. I think it's awesome that you were open to being so honest with your struggles, because there have to be other people who feel the same but are afraid to say so. You do have a very beautiful family!
ReplyDeleteI have no sons. I have 5 daughters. I have no sisters, but 2 brothers. Sometimes when I see the girls argue, I want to throw my own tantrum and stomp my feet and say, "No! No! No! No! This is not how its supposed to be!" It's supposed to be like Little Women or Little House on the Prairie or something that I have no experience of where y'all are so sweet to each other and do each other's hair or something. I loved reading how much you enjoyed having a sister. I hope mine are so happy about it.
ReplyDeleteEvery time a new person joins the family the adjustment is a bit different. Glad everything seems to be coming together!!!
I wanted Isaiah to be Gianna...plain and simple. No blue in our house. Only pink. I wanted matching little sister/big sister shirts. I wanted matching Christmas dresses. I wanted our kids to share a room. I wanted to use all Bella's baby stuff and baby clothes. I didn't want a son.
ReplyDeleteThen add the fact that he was born addicted to drugs and had a challenging NICU stay and lots and lots of ongoing special needs. The firs 12 months of his life were so hard for me because I kept thinking "if only he was...a girl...healthy....sleeping...happy..." then he would be easy to love. The thing is, I finally realized that God entrusted him to me to love, even if it seems like a cross (kind of like infertility is a cross and blessing), so being Isaiah's Mama is what will lead me to salvation. That fact alone has made my love for Isaiah stronger than I thought possible and made his bond with me so very strong!!
Kaitlin,
ReplyDeleteI love that you write so honestly about your experience and your feelings. I knew when I got pregnant my first time that I was having a boy. When ultrasound confirmed it I was devastated. I thought I wanted to know so I could be prepared before the birth. Then I wished I'd never found out. I was in a very lost place spiritually and full of fear. When he was born (naturally and beautifully) I didn't love him right away. My Aunt Mary gave us a book of his baby photos with the quote "Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were an hour, I would die for you. This is the miracle of love." And I remember thinking "Nope, I didn't. Nope, I don't. Nope, not sure I would." and smiling through guilt. I don't know when it was for me either, but I did fall in love with him more than I've ever imagined loving someone. I used to think "why am I telling my newborn I love you if I don't feel like it" and then somewhere I couldn't not say it every night and now I watch over his crib to see if he'll sign it back to me. Sometimes he just says "mm hmm" like he's answering a question and my heart still swells.
It wasn't until Christmas 2012 as I was reading Haley's reflections about being pregnant at the same time as the Blessed Mother than I even THOUGHT about how she felt having her son. And now I had one too, just like her. It was so moving and I felt so blessed. My son was conceived in January and born in September so I never had the chance to experience Christmastime with child. I hope someday to experience that too like her. (my 2nd was also conceived at the same time and is due just a few days before my son's 2nd birthday). We have kept the gender of this baby a surprise but I do still hope for a daughter, just maybe not this baby.
Thank you for writing. It helps to not feel alone even as we have all come in our own ways and times to fall in love with our children.