-1-
Yesterday, a terrifying thing happened. Our dresser fell on top of Hannah. (She is fine!) All of the drawers fell out and hit her but I caught it just before the actual dresser landed on top of the drawers. A glass jar candle that was sitting on top broke just inches from her face. We're fortunate it was a very lightweight dresser, that I was right there when it happened, and that she wasn't hurt. But what if.....I remember reading about a little three year old girl who died while her parents were sleeping because her dresser fell on top of her. Her twin sister was even sleeping in the same room. When I read it I vowed to secure all of our furniture to the walls immediately. We already had the bookshelves secured, our dresser was the only thing left that needed to be anchored. We put it on the "to-do" list and it never got done.
Please, secure all your furniture to the wall. Guardian angels are wonderful, but we don't want to have to depend on them. Do it today. Do not put it off.
-2-
On a much lighter note, anybody have any good tv show recommendations? I am not someone who really enjoys tv. We hardly turn ours except to let Hannah watch Barney. But I have gotten into a few shows lately and I find that the short break every few days really helps. I love Downton Abby, obviously. Really enjoyed Once Upon a Time on Netflix. And I just finished the second season of Call the Midwife on PBS. But now I'm without a good series. Suggestions? It has to be available to be watched on Netflix or somewhere else online for free.
-3-
I cannot wait until Hannah is verbal enough to warrant her own regularly occurring "verbatim" type post here on the blog. Reading other people's kid's quotes are some my favorite type of posts. Especially when you know the kids and how adorable they are. For now, I'll just devote one take to Hannah's cute comments.Hannah: Hannah yite Paul. (meaning, "I like Paul")
Me: Awe, you like Paul?
Hannah: Me too!
And while watching a lizard crawl up to the roof (which we talk about every.single.day. [they are probably just trying to get away from Hannah.] Look, that lizard is going to the roof. I bet the lizards are the roof. Lizard-roof. Lizard-roof. She even threw her plastic lizard onto her own roof where obviously belongs.)
Me: Oh Hannah, where do you think that lizard is going?
Hannah: (blank stare)
Me: I bet that lizard is going to the ______
Hannah: Library!
-4-
Tuesday morning was rough for us this week. I decided we needed to get out of the house before it got any worse, so we drove to the park that's just two minutes away (no, I cannot walk to it. it's already in the 90's here!) When we pulled up we saw that they had bulldozed the playground! What? We had just been there a few days before. I'm going to call and ask if they are getting rid of it all together or (hopefully) putting in a new one. Needless to say, our morning didn't get much better.
-5-
Tuesday afternoon, however, was great. We took a trip to the library (because obviously it was on Hannah's mind). Just like her daddy's, Hannah's cheeks get really red when she's hot and it was so hot that afternoon that she was red just from walking from the house to the car. When we walked into the library she threw open her arms and shouted "yibaewy boots!" (that's "library books" fyi) loud enough for everyone to hear. As she walked through the study area to the kids' section she was so excited that she waved at a random man and said "hi!". He smiled and turned to his friend and said "Did you see..." I thought he was going to finish his question with, "that cute little girl?" or, "how friendly she was?" Instead he said, "Did you see how red her cheeks were!?"
Oh Rosie, you certainly live up to your nickname.
-6-
I found a great deal of support from the comments on Wednesday's post about bonding with Paul. Thanks so much to everyone who made me feel not-crazy. If you've struggled at all with bonding with your kid(s) I suggest going back and reading the comments. Especially the sweet comment from sayin' i love you about love as a choice. So very true! I was loving Paul by feeding and clothing him, even though there weren't any mushy feelings that came with it.
I meant to include this video on the post and forgot. But now you get to enjoy it today. You're welcome.
I meant to include this video on the post and forgot. But now you get to enjoy it today. You're welcome.
-7-
I really want to write about how great Paul has been sleeping. But, One: that pisses off people whose kids are not sleeping. Rightfully so. Two: No one really wants to read about the length of his naps or nursing intervals. And Three: it will surely change drastically and immediately for the worse if I so much as brag for .2 seconds on how great it is.
So I will just say.....Happy Weekend! Thanks as always Jen!
Falling furniture is one of my biggest fears. I'm happy we're moving to a smaller apartment from our medium sized house soon, so I can worry less about where my active boy is! And as soon as I wrote happy posts about my happily sleeping boy I almost always had a week of not-sleeping. Little boogers.
ReplyDeleteYes to number 1! My toddler boys (2 and 3) sleep in the same room. When our youngest had just been born, the middle boy was 16 months old and was napping with his older brother. All of a sudden I heard a huge bang and screams. I ran to their room to see my 16 month old's curls peeking out from below the toppled dresser. I immediately pushed the dresser off of him ONLY to have all the drawers come crashing down on him for the second time. It was horrible (especially because we had had that dresser made of all wood and it weighed 200 pounds). Thankfully a top drawer got lodged and kept the dresser (all 200 plus pounds of it!) inches from his head. We are thankful that there were a few guardian angels holding up the dresser because he walked away without a scratch!
ReplyDeleteWe have since moved all dressers into one room away from toddlers!
You really should make the effort to walk that gut off! 2 minutes could have meant at least 5 calories!! Come on fatty cakes!!! Lmbo
ReplyDeleteI am so glad Hannah is fine. I also have this fear of things falling of the walls at night because of earthquakes, I try not to hang any heavy stuff on the walls near beds. Thank you for your comment on my comment :D Also, I can´t see the video, argh!!
ReplyDeleteYES! It's one of the rules of the internet that as soon as you brag about good sleeping they stop.
ReplyDeleteThey know what you're typing. They're in your head. Watch out!
My heart stopped when I read that first post. OH MY GOSH. I'm still haunted by that email about the 3 year old. We secured the furniture in A's room, but not in the rest of the house yet. Praising God she's okay. Oh thank you, sweet Jesus.
ReplyDeleteLove that laugh!!!
Missed the post about Paul somehow. Will catch up now- or later since i hear A's awake!!
Thank God for our angels!
ReplyDeleteWe really love White Collar on Netflix. There are three seasons available now and the fourth season is almost over on tv. How about The West Wing? There are 8 seasons on Netflix. Happy watching!
Sew, what did you mean about your comment? I'm confused.
ReplyDeleteGlad Hannah is okay. The video is cute.
I was just telling Ryan and his dad yesterday that once we place the furniture, we need to secure it. They laughed at me like I was crazy, but I told them I'd do it myself when Ryan is at work one day if I have to. I like to think I'm pretty relaxed (for now!), but you're right - something so simple shouldn't be ignored. I think I read that same post too and it scared the daylights out of me.
ReplyDeleteMy husband used to volunteer at a children's grief center. He's got serious anxieties about things being anchored to the wall, thanks to counseling some little kids who had siblings die when a dresser fell on them. So sad. SO glad Hannah is okay!
ReplyDeleteWe're really enjoying Sherlock on Netflix. The episodes are a bit longer than Dowton (which we also loved. these are about 1.5 hours each), so it takes more planning to watch one, but we're really liking it!
So much to say about this post (and the one after)...
ReplyDelete1. Thanks for the shout out & I can't wait to read more of what Hannah's been saying.
2. I'm terrible at recommending tv shows for people because we watch so many different kinds, and I always feel judged. Good luck with that.
3. I wanted to comment on your post about Paul, but I'm still playing catch up - but it seems now that you know you're not-crazy and not-alone.
4. Totally said yesterday how great Simon was sleeping and well, you can imagine how last night went...
5. Yesterday's modesty post: I'm usually of the philosophy that you need to go with your gut/conscience and on a case by case basis for outfits. Example: I wore a sleeveless top yesterday but since I was wearing Simon in the Ergo for.the.entire.mass.and.he.sweats.like.a.teenager. sleeveless is more than ok with me (and Mary). I also think body type plays a role in what looks modest or not, so I'm just not sure there's a blanket rule that will apply to everyone. (Except nudity - no one should be nude at Mass.)
Lena-Sew is joking because I said I wanted to get rid of my baby belly in a previous post. She says I'm so little she could "east me like a chicken wing"
ReplyDeleteHeidi-thanks for the Sherlock tip. Loved the first episode. white Collar is next in line, thanks Anon.
Have you watched the TV show Mr. Selfridge? It was really good. You can watch it on stream tv me .com. google stream tv me and you will get the link and can watch it for free. :) Hope you like it!
ReplyDelete