Melissa contacted me about getting the word out about her new website. Here is a guest post she wrote to introduce her efforts in creating an online community for Catholics dealing with infertility.
Thanks Melissa!
When I was 16 yrs. old I was diagnosed with endometriosis, a fertility and auto immune disorder that causes painful periods and in most cases infertility. My diagnosis meant I may never have children or at the very least have a difficult time getting pregnant. When I married my husband we were hopeful God would bless us and that the doctors had been wrong, but we soon found ourselves on the long road of infertility.
I had a wonderful partner in life and love, but like many women dealing with infertility I felt very alone and began seeking community online. I only came across women who were partaking in treatments I didn't morally agree, leaving me longing for a sense of community and support that sadly I never found.
This lack of community set the desire on my heart to create a place for Catholic women to come together and share their journeys with infertility. I wanted somewhere to share the Church’s teachings on matters of reproductive technologies and to educate and lovingly lead other Catholic women to morally sound options.
It's taken me awhile to figure out how exactly to foster that community. Together with my husband and other brave women willing to share their stories we've created Faith In All Times. My hope and prayer is to provide community and God's truth about reproductive technologies.
Please take a few minutes to stop by and read the stories our contributors have been brave enough to share. If you or anyone else feels the call to become a contributor please contact me at melissa@faithinalltimes.com
Has Melissa not found the many Catholic infertility bloggers who are faithful to the Church's teaching? I've found a great community there. Kaitlin, could you share with her a few of the main ones--TCIE, Jellybelly, etc.--so she can find her way to the others?
ReplyDeleteHere's my comment on the Faith in All Times website: Perhaps it is in its early development, but if the goal is to create community, it's doesn't meet that goal. It's just a series of one-sided stories. Is she planning to add a forum of some sort where conversations can happen? Otherwise, I'm not sure how she was envisioning a community to form.
I would also recommend that Melissa (and any other infertile Catholic) join the Yahoo group catholic-fertility. There is a wonderful community there, and they are faithful to Church teaching.
Thank you for your comment and input.
ReplyDeletePerhaps I should've made it more clear that when I was struggling with infertility five years ago I was unable to find the Catholic community that now exists.
Though there is now a blogging community for Catholic infertility I have been contacted by several women who still feel there is something lacking. My goal with Faith In All Times is to eventually have everything in one place - a blog, testimonies, resources for finding doctors, Church teachings, and possibly a forum. However the website is new and is still a work in progress.
The Yahoo group you mentioned is not something I'd heard of until reading your comment. Thank you for the suggestion!
God Bless!
Melissa
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI like the idea, I hope it turns out well. Thanks so much for sharing, I'll keep checking back for more :)
You should also know, there is a very active Facebook community (a private group) for Catholic women struggling with IF. You can contact Rebecca at http://theroadhomewv.blogspot.com/p/contact-me.html, to become Facebook friends with her and get an invitation (and then pass that on to the other women who have come to you!) Or, Kaitlin could invite you, as she's a member. It has made a world of difference to me, as I also felt the lack of community (I'm not an IF blogger, and basically all of my "real life" friends are having babies). Its a fantastic group, you'll see discussions on everything from medical questions and treatment options, to prayer requests, to PMS vents, etc. We'd be happy for you to join in!
God bless!
Katie thank you so much for the comment and feedback, I really appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteI will definitely look into the facebook group.
Thank you again and God bless,
Melissa
I second Katie's suggestion about the facebook group. It is awesome!
ReplyDeleteHere is another website that provides much of the same content for the same audience as Melissa's website: http://catholicandinfertile.com
ReplyDelete